Colon Cancer Community
Young with polyps.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

Young with polyps.

I am 36 years old.  Long history of chronic diarrhea, abdominal pain and other IBD type symptoms.  Currently being tested to rule out Crohn's.  Had colonoscopy a couple days ago, and while my doctor didn't find evidence of Crohn's/IBD, he found two polyps in my left (descending?) colon.  He said they were approx the size of the bed of his finger nail...(1 cm?) or so...and he removed them and sent them to pathology.  He kept saying it was unusual for my age and that although we didn't find the reason for my symptoms, it was VERY good we were in there and found those polyps etc...that if I had waited until recommended age that could of been bad.  I was still too groggy to think thru my questions, but now I have a million.  He did say I would have to have colonoscopy at least every 5 years, and that my sister should go get one now.  (she is 34)  (my mom had her first colonoscopy 4 years ago and they discovered 'sessile" polyps-4 of them, all pre-cancer, and she is supposed to go back every 5 years too.-she is now 57)

I forgot to ask him what kind of polyp it was, and he said he was going to call me when the path results were in, so I didn't really want to bother him anymore about it until those came back.

Should I be worried?  Because I am really worried and anxious over this.  Is being 36 with polyps a greater concern...?  (does this make the risk of them being malignant any greater?)  Has anyone here had experience with being under 40-50 and had polyps?  What were the path results?

I guess I am hoping for reassurance, or maybe even a reality check if need be...  While I am waiting on the path results, how do I view this?
I just had colonoscopy done and I am 33. Had mine last Tuesday. They removed a large polyp 15 cm or mm. Not sure but it was a large one. THey have to send off and have it checked mine came back adonoma which is a precancerous polyp, I have to go back every 4 years now.. Its gonna be okay. They removed them. No worries,, Please keep me updated.