Colon Cancer Community
blood in stool/rectal bleeding?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

blood in stool/rectal bleeding?

hi. i'm 21 years old.. and i'm being paranoid of the fact that i have blood in stools.. last year or maybe 10 months ago... i also had the same problem which prompted me and my mom to go see a doctor... in which i also underwent  flexible sigmoidoscopy in which he found out that there was a hemorrhoid.. and then he prescribed me some meds...but went when we got to the pharmacy one of the meds prescribed were unavailable... now, months later the bleeding came back.. the same as before bright red blood in the stool..i'm not feeling any abdominal crampings or changes in bowel movements or even pain when defacating.. it's the bleeding that i see on the stool or when i clean up that freaks me out.. i'm freaking out because i'm being paranoid that it might be cancer.. but the doctor from 10 months ago ruled that out... i kept telling my mom about it but she said that it's only hemorrhoid and that i should observe it more... it's been months.. sometimes there's blood sometimes there isn't...i'm really freaking out...
Colon cancer is very rare at your age unless there is an hereditary colon disease in your family.  If you had this your doctor would have found many polyps during your scope and he didn't, so please put the cancer fear to rest.  Hemorrhoids can be caused by straining too hard to have a bowel movement or from lifting very heavy things.  Many young men lift weights and this can cause them.  There are over-the-counter medications to help with all of this....Preparation H will shrink the hemorrhoids and this should stop the bleeding.  Bright red blood is usually an indicator of hemorrhoids.  Call your doctor and see if you can now get whatever he prescribed before.  But if this is happening often it may be a good idea to see  GI doc and have that hemorrhoid removed.  It's a simple procedure and will put your mind at ease.  I hope this helps and please don't worry so much, youth is on your side when it comes to colon cancer.  Take care.