Colon Cancer Community
bowel shutdown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

bowel shutdown

2011 had colorectal exam extreme pain with bloating prior and constipation. DX 16mm polyup plus 4 others removed. while going home severe pain went to er then admiditted concerned they did emergency operation to remove the intestion to be sure no bleeding sewed me back up. Upon exam next day I told the doctor of pain and when he pushed on my belly and side his finger left indentations like pushing on clay. As of today I have under gone several exams and the last one involved being given three different materials to attempt to get the bowel to work. I was told no bowel sounds. Now the doctor has another test that includes putting several things up into the bowel and says he can get the bowel to start. I am scared. what to do . I am in great discomfort and do not eat much since I can hardly go to the bathroom. I began to have a problem a year ago after being someone who used the bathroom every morning.
60 yr old male at this point. They also had left in other pyolops until a few months after the surgery to remove the 16mm one. was told to have my family get their scope done but it was begien.
Given your history of abdominal surgery recently and absence of bowel sounds, it looks like paralytic ileus which is a side effect of abdominal surgery. A temporary paralysis of a portion of the intestines occurs typically after an abdominal surgery.

You need to follow up with your surgeon immediately. Remain nil per oral and IV fluids should be started. A careful follow up needs to be done and bowel movements may be stimulated by prescribing lactulose or erythromycin. If the symptoms are severe then surgery is taken as last resort. If you are taking opioid pain killers then avoid them as they may complicate the picture.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.