Colon Cancer Community
change in bowel habits/wt loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

change in bowel habits/wt loss

I am a 47 yr old female with a hx of MCTD/ILD on methotrexate weekly. In the last 3 months, I have had progressively worse constipation ( which is a change for me). I have had some bright red rectal bleeding in the toilet and on the stool also. I also have had unintentional wt loss of 13 lbs in the last couple months. I have had a gradual loss of appetite.I rarely feel hungry although I do make myself eat. I am taking colace bid along with suppositories/laxatives as needed. There is mucus in the stool also.The caliber of the stool is smaller also. I have had LLQ abd pain. My dad had colon cancer stage3B successfully treated with surgical resection/chemo.
I saw my pcp last week who was quite concerned with the wt loss and above sxs. I am scheduled to see a GI doc in about a month who, hopefully, will schedule a colonoscopy. I have never had one done.
The bleeding is not all the time. My hgb is 12 and other labs ok. I am worried, of course, about all of this esp with my father having colon cancer.
I tried to get an appt sooner with the GI doc but there is none available at this time. My pcp said to call if I continue to lose wt and if I have any more bleeding. I have been on the methotrexate for 6 mos and have had no problems with it. My pcp does not feel these issues are related to the meds at all.
Is it ok to wait a month for the GI appt since the colonoscopy has not even been even scheduled yet? It will most likely be way into May sometime before it is done. Thanks so much.
sad they cant get you in now, if it runs in family you should always have a colonoscopy every 3-5 years.

could just be a change for you as i had the same problem, years ago but mine is IBS.

i to am going to a dr next week to have a colonoscopy hope in a couple of weeks.

prayers for you and try not to worry than you will loss more weight. and look at your dad hes is gone after stage 3 thats a blessing,