Colon Cancer Community
colon cancer???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

colon cancer???

I am a 41 yr old male and began having symptoms about 6 weeks ago.  Started with sudden change in my bowel movements that included cramping, difficulty passing stool and blood and mucus discharge. I also felt that i was unable to complete my bowel movements. This went on for 4 days. I was taking an anti-inflamatory (Meloxicam), so i stopped.  I saw my Dr who stated that he was not too worried (taking the wait and see approach).  I was good for 4 days, then it came back, but more mild.  I did a stool sample, but it was Negative (for whatever they looked at, not sure).  Since then (past 4 weeks), i have not had blood or mucus, but i continue to have an irritable stomach, gas, and burping.  I do use protein suppliments and a pre-workout drink (creatine and caffeine).  I recently stopped to the pre-workout drink.
I talked to my dr again and he said not to worry.  I looked up symptoms of colon cancer and i seem to have had some of them. I have no family hx of colon cancer.  I want a colonsocopy, but my Dr seems to downplay the need for one (i finally scheduled to see a gastroendologist (sp?) in about three weeks for a consult.  
Question: do colon cancer symptoms come and go?  is my Dr right re. not to worry?  should i have a colonoscopy?   thanks for your help.
spd
I think it is perfectly reasonable to request a colonoscopy.  And while colon cancer is always a concern, which lots of blood can be a symptom, usually the blood a person sees when they are constipated is from hemorrhoids.  The Meloxicam you were taking has a tendency to constipate people.  When hardened stool collects and won't come out like normal, it will irritate delicate tissues and cause them to swell, which those irritations are called hemorrhoids, and they'll bleed a little when constipated stool comes out, and the blood is usually seen on toilet paper.  I might add that your age is helpful, in that it is quite unusual for a 41-year-old to have colon cancer.  The consult with the gastro doc, plus any scan or colonoscopy or further intestinal bacteria testing, will lead to his deciding whether or not you need to be concerned about cancer, plus he'll have tips on staying more regular if indeed it turns out you do have constipation and hemorrhoids.

Now, your continuing symptoms are probably from having poor digestion for a while there, so I suggest you do what constipated type people should do:  Drink plenty of extra water, get enough aerobic exercise (which it sounds like you do), and eat enough fiber (to include fresh cooked vegies, salads, oat cereal, and whole wheat bread).  Also, you should get some "probiotics" in you, via Acidophilus milk or Activia yogurt from the grocery store, that will help break down waste and help your intestinal flora return to normal, and also you should get some regular alka seltzer and drink a couple of those dissolved in water anytime you feel that gas and burping going on, it balances the pH in the tummy.   I might add that after a person has a bout of indigestion, the electrolytes can get goofed up, so also drink some extra V-8, orange juice, and milk for a few days.