Colon Cancer Community
colon cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

colon cancer

My wife just told me she is seeing her doctor tomorrow, to set up a colon exam.  She has had some blood in her stool and just this last week lost five pounds.  I know this has to be checked out but, whatelse if anything can it be besides colon cancer.  All her doctor told her the otherday was, this doesn't sound good at all.  She thinks she has colon cancer for sure and there is no help.  I tried to tell her even if the worst is found (colon cancer), there is always a possibilty they found it early enough.
Hi.

How would you describe the blood in her stool? Is it bright red, maroon in color, or black and tarry? How long has this been going on? How much blood is seen in the stool? Are there any other symptoms? How did the doctor determine that the colon was the site of the bleeding.

The cause of the bleeding would partially depend on the answers to the questions above. Bright red blood in the stool would usually indicate the bleeding from the rectum, anus or sigmoid colon. Maroon colored blood would have its etiology at the transverse and right colon, while black and tarry stools would most likely indicate bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract. There are rare occasions where bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract or proximal colon would result in bright red blood and this would occur in massive bleeding.

Some causes of hematochezia aside from colon cancer include anal fissure, colon polyps, Crohn's disease, diverticulitis/diverticulosis, hemorrhoids, peptic ulcer, and stomach cancer.

She should go ahead with the colon exam to check for possible causes of the bleeding.

Good luck.