Colon Cancer Community
colon cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

colon cancer?

im a female 20 years of age. for the past 6 months or so ive been having some rectal bleeding streaked down stool and a light red in colour also when i wipe i find it on tissue paper,this is not everytime i go to the toilet but sometimes. this is accomanied by a really sharp pain. My stools are medium or light brown in colour and somrtimes look greasy sometimes quite hard but sometimes quite soft. Ive also been feeling as tho there is gas in my stomach dont know if thats got to do with being constipated or not fully emptying my bowels because of pain when i have bowel movements. This seems to come for a week and then dissapear for a few weeks then return. if it was cancer would the symtoms (symptoms) stay constant? does it sound like something serious or simple hemmeriods? Thanks
forgot to say my anus itches aswell.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
It is difficult to comment without examining. Frank blood is usually not a sign of colon cancer. However since you bleed and itch around anus I feel they could be hemorrhoids that have got infected or twisted. These could also be anal skin tags or even warts.
“Medical treatment of hemorrhoids is aimed initially at relieving symptoms. Measures to reduce symptoms include
• tub baths several times a day in plain, warm water for about 10 minutes
• application of a hemorrhoidal cream or suppository to the affected area for a limited time
Preventing the recurrence of hemorrhoids will require relieving the pressure and straining of constipation. Doctors will often recommend increasing fiber and fluids in the diet. Eating the right amount of fiber and drinking six to eight glasses of fluid—not alcohol—result in softer, bulkier stools. A softer stool makes emptying the bowels easier and lessens the pressure on hemorrhoids caused by straining. Eliminating straining also helps prevent the hemorrhoids from protruding.
Good sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. In addition, doctors may suggest a bulk stool softener or a fiber supplement such as psyllium (Metamucil) or methylcellulose (Citrucel).” Refer: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hemorrhoids/#treatment
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
hey thanx for the reply, i went 2 c my doctor and although she couldn't do a rectal examination, was 2 painful, she said it sounds like mixture of hemorrhoids and a fissure.  So she gave me a stool softener to help it heal. Forgot 2 say in my last post when i go to the toilet theres like a yellowy substance floating around my stool, sorry if thats too much info, is that because of the fiber lacking in my diet? This only started when i was 8 months pregnant...
Have you seen a gastroenterologist? Lots can go wrong in the digestive system, from the expected to the unexpected. While the liklihood of it being cancer at your age is almost nonexistence, it does happen. If doing those things that help hemorrhoids and fissures don't resolve your symptoms, you may have to be examined to be sure what's going on. Pain upon trying to do a rectal exam sure sounds like hemorrhoids, but without an exam it's just a guess.