Colon Cancer Community
does this sound like colon cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

does this sound like colon cancer?

a few things going on... i just want to make sure its nothing too serious

about a week ago i went to my gyno and was given two 150MG tablets of Fluconazole for a yeast infection. since having visited her, i have noticed the ends of my stools have had a white color to them and possibly a fuzzy texture? i can't tell if the stool itself is white or if there is something white on the stool (it is definitely white, not just pale). i will notice this about every 2 times i have a BM. aside from this my stools have been rather normal. brown-light brown in color, and slightly looser than normal.  i also have noticed some slimy-like mucus either with the stool or when i wipe.

for a little over a week (so this began the night before i'd visited my gyno) i've been feeling slighty gassy/bloated and cramps in my lower abdomen, primarily on the ride side. they feel similar to menstrual cramps, however i've never known menstrual cramps to last for such a long time. i first noticed these symptoms about 6 hours after having eaten out at a restraunt. the meal was pretty rich, and i assumed it was all related, but the symptoms have persisted fairly consistently ever since.  sometimes my cramps tend to be accompanied by lower back pains also.

occasionally i will find streaks of blood in my stool, but no signs of blood in my urine.  when this happens i sometimes wipe a very small amount of faint, bright-red blood off onto the toilet paper. this has been going on for almost a year; my doctor did an examination and said that he found a small fissure and that the blood in my stool was likely a result of that.

results from a blood test came back showing my liver was normal, but i am still waiting on results regarding hepatitis A and hepatitis B. the doctor also ordered a stool culture, but i have yet to be able to gather a specimen with the white "stuff" to have cultured, so i am still waiting on this. i have an appointment with a gastroenterologist on wednesday but i am still concerned in the mean time.

should i be concerne that this is more than just something i can pass through my system? after reading various online sources im nervous it may be something more serious and/or fatal such as colon cancer. i realize this is unusual for someone my age (21) but i can't help but think thats what this is.

THANKS!

You are correct that colon cancer is pretty rare for someone your age, but it can happen. The symptom of something white on the stool is pretty vague. The simplest thing that comes to mind is that you are describing mucus. This may be explained by diet, possibly a minor infection that may produce some diarrhea.
Blood is a symptom that should cause alarm, but since you have a bleeding fissure then this is probably the source of bleeding.
Follow-up with your doctor and discuss your anxieties. You could also raise the issue of a scope since you are really concerned. The best person to appraise the need for this would be your doctor.