Colon Cancer Community
large, long stools

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

large, long stools

Hi, I have been passing Large (not very large) and  really long stools for a couple of months. I also have been passing lots of gas (flatulence). The doctor told me to stop milk.  I did, and it seemed like it went away, but then even after stopping the milk, i still have the gas problems. I am a 23 year old female with type 2 diabetes for 7 years. My primary control of blood sugar is with diet/exercise but I do take metformin at times. I noticed when I took metformin and ate fruits(1banana, kiwi, strawberries), i passed large and long stools and still had gas problems. I was worried about colon cancer.. can someone help me clear my doubt?...what is wrong with my digestive system?

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE FOR UR REPLY!!
Changes in your diet and exercise can cause changes in your stool.  I think everyone is bothered by gas at one time or another.  It could be the fruits and vegetables that cause the gas or something else in your diet.  One way to try and figure out what causes the gas in your case would be to keep a food diary of everything you eat and when you take your metformin.  In the same diary note when your have gas, see if you can figure out what you might be eating to cause it.  It has also been my experience then when I used to exercise regularly, my stools my stools were long and more regular. It does not sound like anything really wrong with your system but talk to your doctor and see what he/she recommends.  Gas is more annoying then a real problem.  Good luck.