Colon Cancer Community
perineum mass/lump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

perineum mass/lump

really embarassed to ask this, to scared to go to the dr's, even thou im a 47 year old female who's had children. I feel as if i have a lump/mass internally between my bottom and my vagina, my bowel habits have changed from regular to constipated, i have piles occasionally, not bothersome,  got them at the mo due to pushing. On going to the toilet, it sometimes feels as if something is still there or inside. I have not been aware of the perineum area feeling so solid before, its not painful, thou its an awkward place to feel around. it just feels solid, approx size 2 inch ,  occasional dull pain in the bottom of my left cheek when sitting in bed. I dont feel its pile related, thou im no expert :( anyone got any suggestions. Ive googled it but cant find anyone with a similar problem.
Thank you.
Please don't be embarassed.  Go to the doctor sooner rather than later.  The change in bowel habits and the lump are alarming symptoms and you should be seen.  If you seek medical intervention early, you may save yourslef from experiences that are far more embarassing, not to mention painful and life-threatening.  It may turn out to be something minor, but you should be seen for your own safety.  I had late stage rectal cancer when diagnosed and believe me, there is embarassment and then there is cancer treatment - embarassment in a league of its own!  

Best of luck  Please post again when you have more information.

jd
jd ... thank you so much for your comment, it gave me the strengh to go see my doctor this afternoon. Like you said, there is 5 minutes embarassment or cancer treatment. luckily the dr thinks the lump is inside piles, even thou i feel its in a funny place.and rather larger than a pile, but ive been checked out and thats the main thing, as for the change in bowel habits the dr thought it could be my thoaroid (sorry cant spell it) so had some blood taken.
thank you again for taking the time to reply to my post. and your strengh to wisely advise another.
best wishes.
Just an update to my previous post some 6 months ago. Despite being told by the doctor my lump was an internal pile, my symptoms got worse, over the course of 6 months i became extremly tired, blood seemed constant in my bowel movements and despite what i ate or drank i still couldnt fully go to the loo, and always felt as if there was something there. 2 prescriptions later and a cupboard full of laxitives, 3 weeks ago, another Dr gave me an internal examination and confirmed he felt a lump. I have now seen a specialist, who on an internal examination confirmed, 'yes' there is a lump, xrays showed a impacted colon and nxt week im booked in for the camera up the bottom and further tests.
I have lots of thoughts going throu my head at the moment, as i can only presume its a 50/50 waiting game.
The reason for this update is despite my huge embarrasement about the whole bottom thing, despite being told 6 months ago i was worrying about nothing, my symptoms persisted, and i felt something was wrong, so i went and saw another Dr.
All i can say to anyone else going throu this is like 'jd' said, if your worried and have similar symptoms, get to the Dr's.
hey im 17 and i have to scary lumps between my vagina and bottom to im so scared can anyone help me they appeared a month ago my doctor told me it looked like genetal herpes but the tests came back negitivee so thats good but the lumps havnt gone away only appeared smaller i had my hpv needle so does anyone no what this could be ive talked to my step mum about it she doesnt seem to concerned but im really fraking out someone please help me.
Hi, im 25 and I have 2 young children, since the birth of my 2nd child 7months ago I have had nothing but trouble with going to the toilet, ive been going to the docs since the start of Dec and they kept saying it was nothing and kept giving me fibre gel and cream to help with the stomach pains and pains when I went to the toilet, but for the past 3months or so things have got really bad im in contant pain with my stomach, and when I need to go to the toliet and im agony (with my tum and bottom) and have to bite and towel and makes me cry and have blood in the pan (sorry lol) so I seen a different doctor and he is sending me to hospital to see somebody, im so scared I really dont no what to think, im really hoping its just IBS and a tear from birth and I find it hard to speak to my friends and family about this.
Hello, I put off getting the pain in my perineum treated until I could hardly walk. Turned out it was an abcsess. Spent 3 days in hospital but on the mend now. It was a little embarassing at first but the medical staff were brilliant and I was left wondering why I'd waited so long. It's easy to forget that, whilst it's embarassing for us as individuals, these guys are very professional and deal with this type of stuff on a regular basis.
I have had exactly the same symptoms on and off for about a year now. I've been to two doctors, one said it was nothing, the other that it was anal fissures/constipation and gave laxatives. All rubbish as it's still not gone away and can still be very sore. I'm constantly concerned about it, but getting even more reluctant to see another doctor as they keep assuring me it nothing - I'm embarrassed to go back saying no there's still a problem. What is really frustrating is that this could be really serious and yet no doc (so far) will refer me to a specialist just to be sure... I was wondering if you have had a diagnosis since your last tests? (...i should really be asking the docs myself, I know...)
Hello there,

I am sorry to re-open this forum I was wondering if anyone had any updates please??

I have had this lump for over 2 years and it has grown etc... I have never been to the Doctors about this at all. However I have been for a Colonoscopy 3 times and each time they say I am fine, that is very good. I have had very bad constipation for the same length of time and sometimes I can go over 2 weeks without going to the toilet. I say constipation but I do not actually get the urge to use the toilet at all. I went 18 days without using the toilet and I had to go and get it hoovered out (pardon my explanation).

This lump is very hard and runs right from the rear opening of my vagina, through to just near the opening of my anus. It is very central and not on the leg etc... as some people are describing. I do not have any pain from it at all, it is just there and growing at a very slow speed.

I do get piles from time to time, but very minor and mild symptoms.

Thank you for any help,

Sharon
Well...how r u? Found this searching...have similar lump & have already blown off by 1 doctor. Hope u r okay now. Doctors are fallible so keep looking till get real answer...obviously this is abnormal.
I just discovered this myself.  Ick, embarrassing and awkward but scary too.  Hard lump  low between the back vaginal wall and I guess front colon wall.  I'm 39, this is very new--got some other health issues but this is new (within 3 weeks or so).  Help?
I had burning sensation and would have the spot bubble up and bust. At first they thought it was a boil, so they lacerated it twice. When that didn't work I was sent to the surgeon who thought it was a cyst, so she cauterized it. Went back on Monday and was told it was a mass. had surgery on wednesday and now have between 15 and 20 stitches the mass was alot bigger than they thought. My suggestion to all is find a doctor who is willing to listen to you and not blow you off. You know when something is not right with your body.
hi everyone just wondering has anyone considered that your chakras may be blocked? this could cause the lump you feel on your perineum.  which could also give you stomach gases, constipation, piles, tumours, boils and pimples.  Reiki is good for this to unblock the energy in your body.  Search root chakras on internet and you will get a further explanation
My husband has the same exact symptoms and your post was the only helpful piece of info I found searching the internet.  I know it has been over two years since your post but I was wondering what the outcome was.  I am so glad you were not too shy to post.  It really helped me!

Three weeks ago, I noticed my perineum area started to become very sore over about a three day period, like I had been riding a bike or had fallen somehow. Then I started feeling around down there to see why I was so sore and I found a lump/ mass.probably the size of a very large grape. It was internal, not like it was just under the skin, but into the tissue. I went to the doctor today to let them check me out, and at first she could not feel it because I was lying down. Then I pointed it out to her and she could feel the lump. She said she did not know what it was, but she didn't think it was a sign of cancer, because she said cancer doesn't usually hurt and plus it was off to the side in my perineum area. She is going to treat it as a bacterial infection first. After ten days, I go back and if the lump is still there she is going to order a ct scan and do a rectal exam.
Thank you for posting this.I have a similar problem.I noticed the lump in the perineum area in 2010.Weeks prior to that, i was severely constipated for 4 days & there was something painful (like a stabbing pain) in the area,i can't walk properly.After a day, was able to go to the loo,but took me hours.The  days,when I go to the loo and sit there,i see whitish discharge which looks like a mucous plug,no smell or color.I went to the doctor,first to the OBGYNE, was then referred to surgery, then to gastroenterology. They found hemorrhoids stage 3 but very small in size. I also had sigmoidoscopy.The results were normal,they found nothing,wasgiven meds & advised home treatment. The constipatio/ irreg bowel movements were no longer a problm. But the lump was stll there. 2 years after,I had my 3rd baby via CS.  The lump still there but got bigger. During my monthly period,it becomes painful and feels heavy. I'm not sure who to go to.
Hi i'm 19 and I just felt this lump as well. it's a small one, a bit smaller than a skittle. (sorry if this is ur favorite candy, i dont no what else to compare it to) i suppose i felt it a few days ago when i was having a hard time passing. but now, i'm feeling fine but i just felt it. It didn't hurt, it's a lil solid. I don't know what to do. Like most of u i am embarrass too but another down side is...i don't have insurance so i don't want to bring it up...what should i do? how dangerous is this time...
Hi everybody!This is Meg192327. Just went to the doctor for my follow up in regards to my perineum. Yes I know I am almost three months late on my app., but the lump has been gone for some time now, but within the past 2 weeks, I have developed rectal bleeding. At first it was alot but now, I can't see it, but the doctor did a digital rectal exam, and found that I had blood in my stool still. I have an app. with a gastrointerologist Dec. 3, so when I find out any thing will post soomething then. Good bye for now and good luck to every one.
Hi I have a bump near my perineum . Its kinda under my skin and its smooth & it kinda feels like there's a tissue inside ? I'm scared to bring it up because I don't want anyone looking down there..  does anyone know what this is ? I felt it and I never realized it before I'm really scared....it doesn't hurt but Its a little strange..
help?
You need to get to a colorectal specialist NOT a general doctor.  There is nothing to fear, what ever it is you can deal with it. The important thing is that you get into a specialist and find out what it is. The earlier the better. Please go to a specialist. A general doctor is not a specialist.
Please let us know how you do.
How are you? How's your colonoscopy getting on? What are the findings for the lump at your perineum area? I am having the same problem as you. Went to consult an O&G doctor and she said its only tissue appearing at the perineum area. Was wondering whether mine is internal piles with no bleeding at all but can feel lump quite big mass about 1.5cm at perineum. Used to pass motion with blood because of constipation and prior to having this lump at perineum area. I plan to see a colorectal doctor to get his opinion. Would like to know how's your condition now. Not to worry so much.
Just pray and take good care.
does anyone have any updates on this?  stardust, meg how are you doing? seems there are many with lumps and docs who dont seem to know whats going on..  
Has anyone gotten any word back from their doctors on what this could be? I have the same problem as well. I've had it since January and it has increased in size. I don't have insurance and i know it would cost a hefty amount but any prior knowledge would be great. best of luck to everyone and any help would be great
I have a hard lump there and have an appointment with a radiation oncologist tomorrow. I have diagnosed myself - I'm one of those research-crazy women - with vulvar cancer. The lump seems to be the primary indicator for me. I had a hysterectomy in August '12, and cancer came back a couple of months ago. They found more cancer, I found the lump. I'll let you know tomorrow after the appointment what the radiation oncologist says about the lump.
NanaEl
NanaEl,
Best of luck tomorrow.  Hope cancer in remission soon.  
Hello there! Been almost a year since I had the dreaded "lump", and it completely gone. I can't feel it any more, and no more pain. My colonoscopy reveled that I had bleeding hemorroids (hemorrhoids) and I also had stomache ulcers, BUT... the lump was believed to be either some sort of cyst that eventually went away on its own, like that of small ovarian cysts that can go away on there own (I had a previous ovarian cyst when I became pregnant that went away on its own before I had my first child that was due to my pregnacy, and never had another one), or either some sort of bacterial infection that could have been cause by my previous perineum tear due to child birth a few months before.. but This is just what I've been told... so I don't know and I really don't think they know for sure, since it is now gone. I am due for my yearly exam in November so I'm sure they will reexamin me to make sure it is gone. So, I hope this helps anyone out by what I know as of right now. Bye for now. :)
I have a large, swollen perineum, its about the size of an egg now and just appeared over the last week and is progressively getting larger. I am going to call my Dr on Monday, but I don't know when she will be able to get me in. I'm not constipated and the mass/area is very painful. Any advice on what it could be?
I did a 5,000 mile, 12 day, 10 hours day motorcycle ride and then started feeling a pea size lump in my perineum. It started to get bigger so I went the doctor who did my colonoscopy 2 years ago. He was concerned so I went to a specialist and did a biopsy. It came back as squamous cell cancer, and growing fast. I had a port put in 2 days ago and I will start tomorrow with continuous 5FU and mytomycin chemo and radiation for 6 weeks. It has grown a lot and fast. It does not hurt, but I wish I had gotten to treatment sooner as it has now been 5 months.  But with insurance complications and job changes and kicking out a cheating boyfriend to go live with his secret girlfriend, life has been complicated.
Hi there , my husband had an accident 12 months ago . I was travelling to and from the hospital every day n sitting by his bed side for 8-9 hrs a day  for 8 months , I'd stopped eating a small sandwich some days nothing other days . Piles I think was expected and constipation . When he eventually arrived home for me to become his 24/7 carer I started to eat more . In all I lost 3 stone . The piles were getting worse , they would keep me awake at nite I couldn't walk , sit germaloid cream n bottom bullets would ease for a while but god the pain , after seeing doctor it's not piles !! I've had a biopsy within a week of seeing doctor a ct scan and MRI  . I go tomorrow for results the perineum is very delicate and mine really hasn't be the same since the birth of my first son 25 yrs ago never ever ignore something that you know in your heart isn't normal
I have the same issues its a large lump right in between my anus and vagina and I am worried so thanks for posting this.
Hi.  A lump in the perineum (area between anus and vagina for woman) can be due to a number of causes.   Considerations include a rectocele, abscess, external hemorrhoids, cyst under the skin, or possibly a growth from either the vagina or the anorectum.  Don't be embarrassed about seeking medical attention.  There is nothing like an examination to help your healthcare provider determine the cause of your problem.  Hope this helps.

All the best,

Frank Farrell, MD
Dr Farrell....is there any corrective treatment for rectocele or combination of various organ prolapses, or is it best to leave well alone and use perhaps exercises and address diet, rest, etc etc...especially if one is over 60 years of age. Thankyou.