Colon Cancer Community
sesile serrated adenoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

sesile serrated adenoma

I am a healthy 53 year old with no significant colon cancer risk factors.  I recently had 2 sessile serrated adenomas removed at the time of my colonoscopy.  One polyp was 14 mm which was removed by "piecemeal" technique and the other polyp was 4 mm.  Did this save my life??  My Dr recommended a FU colonoscopy in 3 years.  I did not go back in 3 months as was recommended for Dr Oz.  Do I now have a 15% chance of developing colon cancer?  Thanks.  Agnesgrace.
Yes, it did save your life, polyps always become malignant so removing them is best.  Normally they want to see you every 2-3 years once you have had polyps removed, because chances are you will develop more and want to stay on top of this. I'm assuming that Dr. Oz was told to return in 3 "months?"  If so, his case is different, and his polyp may have progressed further.  If you haven't had another colonoscopy, you should.  The polyps as you know, can easily be removed during the scope.  Timing is everything with this.  Get colonoscopies when they tell you to, it's imperative to keeping you healthy.  Take care!
What a coincidence! The same thing had happened to me, but I DID go back and a tumor was found during the colonoscopy. I had to have surgery and it had spread to my lymph nodes, so I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. After the surgery, the put me on chemo (folfox) for six straight months and I now have almost 2 years in remission.
  Trust me, it's much easier to get checked and find out (early detection is what saved my life) than to go through major abdominal surgery and chemotherapy with that nasty eloxaplatin! Good luck!
Congratulations!  You're so right in what you say.  Many are too afraid to get tested, and don't realize that with time their body will force them to get tested anyway, and often with serious or fatal consequences.  Early detection is key to everything with our health.  I'm happy you are doing so well, and I wish you all the best!
Hi and thanks for commenting.  But, after your first coloscopy they removed a serrated adenoma, right?  Then, you went back.  How many years after the first colonoscopy did you go back?  Is that when they found the tumor?  I am happy for you that you are in remission, Stay well!!
I had 3 serrated adenoma's removed at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas.  Mine were benign but could have well progressed into cancer.  I don't have to go back for 3 years.  I have a family history of colon cancer and rectal cancer.  I had been going to a gastroenterologist for my previous colonoscopys and she had only found 1 of the adenoma's.  Doc at MD Anderson found and removed the other 2.  Very scary to think we trust these doctors and then find out they are NOT as thorough as we believe them to be.
Thank you GeezL and everyone for taking the time to chat with me.  GeezL, so, after the Dr rmoved the 3 polyps, did you have a FU colonoscopy in 3 months, or, just told to FU in 3 years?  Dr Oz was told to FU in 3 months to make sure it was all removed.  I have no family hx of colon cancer but it is still scary.  I drink wine, should I stop?  Thanks!!!
My (Specialist) doc said to follow up in 3 years.  He most definitely got them all.  He is the one who mastered (Created) a procedure where they inject saline solution under the flat polyp to raise it and then cut it out.  Dr. Oz is not a specialist at a world renowned hospital like MD Anderson Cancer Center so I trust my doc.  And - I drink wine too and I have not stopped......I was not told that drinking wine is a cause for colon polyps so......
Thank you for letting me know about the saline technique to raise the polyp.  Do you know if serrated polyps are more dangerous than non-serrated adenomas?  And, may I ask why you went to a cancer center since you don't have cancer?  Are we about the same age?  I don't know anyone who has had these polyps except you and I.  Take care.
I recently had a colonoscopy and my Dr found a few serrated polyps, 1 or which was over an inch. Can you Please let me know the name of the specialist you saw and what hospital he is affiliated with, I would really appreciate it
Thank you
Cheryl who needs help :(