Complementary Medicine Community
5 HTP reactions

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

5 HTP reactions

Hi, I was wondering if the supplement 5-HTP had any negative reactions while taken with minocycline.  I started taking both at about the same time.  I feel very dizzy, hot flashes, and have sores in my mouth.  I stopped taking the minocycline today but still feel fatigue and hot flashes
When you say you stopped taking the minocycline, I hope you mean you completed the regimen.  You can't just stop taking an antibiotic once you decide to take one, since it can result in antibiotic resistant bacteria.  You should take a probiotic for awhile to replenish the beneficial organisms antibiotics kill off, but you have to finish the regimen.  As for 5-HTP, yes, some people do get bad reactions to it.  The cure is to stop taking it and try something else, or try a lower dose until you get used to it.  I don't think it could cause sores in the mouth, but any time you affect serotonin you can get unwanted psychological and physiological effects, including dizziness and the sweats.  Worse with pharmaceuticals, but can happen with 5-HTP.  But antibiotics also have side effects, which is why it's always good to try new things one at a time to see how you respond -- can't tell if you take two things at a time.