Complementary Medicine Community
Daily use of high-dose vitamin C supplements

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

Daily use of high-dose vitamin C supplements may increase the risk of cataracts.  An eight-year Swedish study of 25,593 women showed a 25% increase in cataract removals among those taking vitamin C supplementation (approximately 1,000 mg per day) compared to those who did not.  A smaller, but non-significant increase was seen among those taking a multivitamin.  Women taking vitamin C supplements for at least 10 years prior to the study had even higher increases in cataract removals (46% increase), as did those on hormone replacement therapy or corticosteroids.
My opinion is that I would rather take my Vit C and enjoy the many benefits, that to me outway any risks of this. I have never heard of Vit C causing cataracts.
Where was this article and study found?  
The information came from my son who works in Switzerland and Greece in the scientific sector It was an email from him.
I found an artical on consumers Lab I have cataracts that are not ripe as per my dr. and take 3000mg vit.c daily
for a number of years now i don't know this is the second report of this
These studies don't prove causation, they prove possible causation and possible coincidence, since they don't account for all the variables involved.  There are tons of these studies around because we can't really take people and experiment on them.  So while I'd pay attention to them, I wouldn't base my life choices on them.  That being said, coumadin, vitamin c isn't the most important antioxidant for the eyes --  the two most important are glutathione and lutein.  Glutathione isn't regarded as very well absorbed in supplement form, but you can take the amino acids that manufacture it in the body.  It's also the most important antioxidant for the liver.  Ask your doc if perhaps you could reduce the vitamin c if you increased these two, and also ask him about bilberry, a very good good antioxidant specific to the eyes.