Complementary Medicine Community
Gulf War Syndrome?

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

Gulf War Syndrome?

I know someone who returned home after almost six year in Iraq (as a civilian) with perplexing symptoms of toxicity. Since Iraq is contaminated with depleted plutonium (ain't war grand?), I am thinking low-level, chronic radiation poisoning, since some of the symptoms fit. If so, does anyone have any suggestions for treatment? (Chelation works, but is dangerous because it can destroy the kidneys.)
Ok, I may be ignorant here, but have you thought of glutethione? (without the pre-curser that many add)
I will look into it for her. Thank you.
I don't understand the plutonium issue.  Gulf War Syndrome, although nobody knows the cause and the symptoms were all over the map, was based largely on the petroleum fires, not plutonium.  There's no plutonium floating around Iraq, certainly a lot less than in any nation with far more active and successful nuclear program, such as, well, every other country in the world practically.  Plutonium isn't your culprit.  I don't know what is.  But they didn't find any plutonium, or any other nuclear program in Iraq, remember?  That was a myth or a lie.  On the other hand, war is full of toxins, so isolating the cause is difficult.  As for plutonium, it kills quickly upon inhalation, but isn't very toxic just by exposure.  Other radioactive elements, such as cesium, strontium, and iodine are far more toxic in the background, but again, Iraq turned out not to have a nuclear program.  As for nuclear tipped artillery shells and bombs, they wouldn't be where a civilian would be.  That part of the war was over in days.  As for chelation, let's assume it was plutonium -- again, that's only really toxic by inhalation, and if you do inhale it and it's been there this long, it's too late to do anything but alleviate symptoms -- the time for chelation was right at exposure, but since it's unlikely to be plutonium, either you learn what it is in fact, or, since that's unlikely, you can just work on strengthening the liver.  Glutathione is very important for the liver, but it's hard to get into the system except by taking other substances that form it.  One of the best is wheat grass.  When people are subjected to radiation, algae is used, both ocean and fresh water, since they soak up heavy metals, but again, that's not a likely source in Iraq.  Maybe the best thing is to work on the liver generally and clean it out and see if it makes any improvement, but it's always hard to treat what you don't know the cause of.  Good luck.
My mistake - I should have said uranium. As you know, it is used on our missiles. There are many theories as to what caused Gulf War Syndrome. I use the term here for lack of a better expression. I have known others who only went to Iraq after the second invasion who also returned home ill, with odd symptoms. In Iraq today, because of contamination by depleted uranium, in some areas, Fallujah, for instance, one-fourth of all newborns are abnormal. And I am not saying that the case I mention is suffering radiation poisoning, merely that it resembles it. Anyway, tests are going to be done so we will know for sure one way or the other.