Complementary Medicine Community
Huangdai Tablets

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

Huangdai Tablets

I require an immediate source of Huangdai Tablets, used in traditional Chinese Medicine.

If you kinow of a source, please contact me immediately.

Thank you.
never heard of this before. Hope you can find them.
Hi caregiver....how have you been? I will see if I can help you research this tomorrow. Let me know what you have been up to. Miss our chats! :)
Hi caregiver how you doing , can I ask what they are used for I have heard of them.
From what I have read about Huangdai Tablets, it is a compound medicine for leukemia. But I have not found a specific leukemia it is suppose to help.

Is this why you are looking for it? I have found several sites about it, but no sites for purchase......yet.
Huangdai, like many traditional Chinese medicines, can only be found in Chinese pharmacies or herbal stores, or from a practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine.  They're what are referred to as Chinese patent medicines.  You can usually find a Chinese pharmacy in Chinatowns, and in communities with a lot of people from China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, etc.  You won't find them in health food stores.  Some acupuncturists are also certified in TCM and can get these for you, and some naturopaths also study TCM and get certified, and can supply these.  Most large urban areas have practitioners of TCM in them.
Thanks very much, everyone, for your reply and interest.  I have very little knowledge of Chinese traditional medicines.

The medication is for a friend with primary myelofibrosis (chronic idiopathic myelofibrosis), a form of cancer.

Pub med has a treatment protocol in the Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine, Vol 6, October, 2008, number 10, but not a source for the product.
Just to give a little background.

A close friend developed primary myelofibrosis,  a sort of "blood cancer". He requires a unit of blood every week. Conventional treatment is with chemo and, if a donor match is found, a marrow transplant.

He used a database called "pubmed", which contained a large number of studies of treatments of diseases.

The article on use of Huangdai Tablets appeared only in Chinese. To my amazement I found that the "Google" Translation feature worked quire well in turning the Chinese characters into intelligible english. This is the first time I have ever had reason to use the "translation" feature of this search engine.

The study involved ten patients, and according to this study there was total remission in all ten cases. The Huangdai tablets were used in conjunction with low-dose chemo. Apparently this Chinese medication has been used for hundreds of years.

This is unusual because this is a rare and essentially "untreatable" disease in the U.S.

He is being treated at a top United States Hospital, by very qualified cancer specialists.

They immediately and out-of-hand rejected any use of the Huangdai Tablets for his illness, without research or further investigation.

I am not saying they are bad or incompetent physicians, however the pressure exerted on a patient in the conventional healthcare system to "follow the yellow brick road" and not consider anything "not invented here" or in the "approved protocols" is overwhelming.
There's no profit in a plain old Chinese patent medicine, or not enough.  That's the problem, unfortunately.  It's amazing that our physicians aren't taught natural medicine; after all, they take the Hippocratic Oath, and Hippocrates was an herbalist.
You just said what I have said to my primary physician for years!!!!!   I think I got through or another of his patients did, because now he is taking classes for herbology!
You might want to check into Native American medicine also.  It is a good source for knowlege about the entire healing/treatment process, not just medication.   Here are a few sources to get you started.   The first one, you may even be able to contact this Dr. directly

http://www.healing-arts.org/mehl-madrona/mmtraditionalpaper.htm
http://www.faqs.org/health/topics/12/Native-American-medicine.html