Complementary Medicine Community
Lactoferrin for osteoporosis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

Lactoferrin for osteoporosis?

I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis (mid-50s), and am trying supplementation and exercise, short-term, rather than bisphosphonates.  I am currently taking D3 and K2, and am eating foods high in boron (e.g., raisins) to help with absorption of calcium.  I would like to know if lactoferrin, about which I've seen promising research, is considered to be safe, and would be worth trying as well.
Generally this is used for the immune system -- it is found in highest amounts in colostrum, the first part of our immune building found in breast milk.  It is used for other things, sometimes for iron, but still mostly for building the proper bacterial foundation for a strong immune system.  Don't see how it will build bone.  The biggest problem in Americans is the overconsumption of calcium, particularly in dairy products, and the underconsumption of magnesium, since dairy contains little magnesium.  That's why the best bone building is done by eating a lot of dark leafy greens, such as parsley, dandelion greens, collards, kale, broccoli, as they contain both calcium (especially in the harder stem parts most Americans throw away) and also lots of magnesium, providing the balance needed for strong bones.  So you might want to consider seeing a holistic nutritionist to analyze your diet and see how your balance of nutrients is going.
Hi Paxiled,

Thanks very much for the reply.  I agree that it's best to get calcium from the diet, and I focus on leafy greens (particularly broccoli -- and have begun to eat kale, as well).  I take the K2 and eat boron-rich foods in order to improve absorption.  I had read, though, that lactoferrin, in addition to its role in immune function, plays a role in bone growth (e.g., http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1183439/), so thought that it might be a good option, if safe.
The only problem with it I know of is if you have a dairy allergy and it's sourced from cow's milk (it isn't always).  I've always preferred colostrum, but obviously you get more lactoferrin by just taking it.  The other problem would be if you had too much iron, which particularly in men is suspected of being a heart problem.  Otherwise don't see how it could hurt, but this is something a doctor "should" know, as lactoferrin is used in allopathic medicine for some purposes.  If you google it you should be able to see any contraindications.  Nature's Plus makes a good product, so they might be able to help you if you call them.  
Thanks a lot; my PCP isn't familiar with natural supplements, so I have been relying on Google for info, and you're right -- other than the iron, I can't find any contraindications.  He would prefer that I take OP medication, so I just thought I'd better check for problems with the supplement before proposing it as an alternative.