Complementary Medicine Community
My sinusitis wont heal. Please help.

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

My sinusitis wont heal. Please help.

About 7 weeks ago I was feeling very dizzy and tired all the time with a strange tingling sensation in my head. I thought it was walking pneumonia since I had recently been in contact with a friend who had it. It turned out that I was wrong.

1 Month later I after visiting many doctors and having an MRI to no avail, I went to see a ENT specialist. He took and x-ray and diagnosed me with sinusitis. Since I live in Japan I was given an antibiotic which is commonly used here called Geninax. I took two tablets a day at 200mg strength each. I have also been taking a antihistamine tablet for allergies which has done nothing.

I have taken them for 10 days now and my symptom have not improved at all. If anything it seems to have spread from my brow and top part of my nose to my cheeks as well. The pressure in my head and the constant fatigue is having a devastating affect on my job and everyday life. I find it hard to concentrate and my vision is sometimes slightly impaired.

I will go back to the doctors in two days to get the results for a swob test he took from my nose. However, I'm wondering if there is anything I should request, for example, a different and stronger antibiotic.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
An antibiotic only helps if you in fact have an infection, and even then, it will kill off your beneficial bacteria leaving you even more susceptible to whatever this is.  Sinusitis isn't a diagnosis, it just means you have an inflamed sinus, it doesn't tell you why.  Giving an antibiotic, because of its harmful side effects, should only be given if you have a bacterial infection that lingers, since that's all it treats, and often then the infection just comes back because of the loss of the beneficial bacteria.  Bad medicine being practiced here.  When you learn what you in fact are suffering from, we can help.  It could be allergies, could be an infection, could be a virus, which antibiotics do nothing for at all.  Yet you've already been given a strong drug which may not even be appropriate.  There are many herbs that can fight infection, help clear the sinuses, and even fight a virus.  For now, make sure you find a good probiotic in the refrigerated section of your local health food store to replenish what the antibiotics are killing, but don't stop the antibiotic until you've completed the recommended usage -- doing otherwise now can lead to drug resistant infections.   Let us know what the test shows.