Complementary Medicine Community
Natural ways to help open up bronchial airways with respiratory infecti...

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

Natural ways to help open up bronchial airways with respiratory infection

Okay what are some ideas to help open up airways during times of labored breathing?
Things I have done:
Essential oils inhaled, good ole faithful Vicks, moist heat pack and steam, chiropractic adjustment.
Albuterol nebulizer and homeopathic lungs and bronchial relief by King Bio
Naturopath put me on Antivirals

Any other ideas?  It does seem to be a little better today after being taken off of Armour thyroid and being put on synthroid and Cytomel.....I was not responding well to it.
astragalus, bromelain, ipecacuanha, pulsatilla, hydrotherapy, are also used for
bronchial problems. as per Mark Stengler, N.D.

A Naturopathic physician taught me how to combat my URI's without antibiotics.

CAYENNE PEPPER ---- buy in liquid form and add to your drinking water (I know... ick!) keep drinking... all day long and then some. Cayenne pepper is a natural dilator. This little tip saved me from taking antibiotics on many occasions.
I take 450mg of CAYENNE per day.
Oh yeah....I forgot about cayenne....I have it in capsule form. I will get on it. But I am not so sure this is airways.....it might be ribs (costochondritis), or possibly my inflammed gallbladder. Going to see new dr tomorrow. I have no wheezing and inhaler isn't touching it. Hmmmmmm maybe cayenne will be good anti inflammatory for muscles as well.
Thanks!
Cayenne pepper is an old remedy. Put tobasco sauce and fresh-squeezed lemon in a glass of water.

Caffeine, of course, is a bronchodilator. Drink a cup of coffee or a cola plus a six ounce can of grapefruit juice to extend the half-life of the caffeine in the bloodstream.
ALL- thank you....had to go to ER last night because of breathlessness and pain. It wasn't my asthma, it is costochondritis and irritated by viral infection. Hurts so bad in ribs front and back! Ouch!

So what can I use as a good anti inflammatory for intercostal muscles that will shorten this? I will try the cayenne pepper, but it needs to be stronger than the normal bromelain, etc....those aren't strong enough for me. I have a lot of inflammation response going on.
You say there’s a sore spot next
to your breast right where your rib
joins your breastbone? Is it also sore
above and below that, too?  “costochondritis.” Sometimes
vitamin B6 helps, especially for
women, but more often it’s caused
by a strain on this joint stemming
from a misalignment in your back.
check for that.  
check the back the. Just
use a finger to press firmly on each
of the vertebral spines, that row of
bony bumps down the middle of
your back. If one or more hurt
when pressed, it’s time for a visit to
the chiropractor to correct the
misalignment. If you have back
pain, it’ll likely take care of that,
and it can also eliminate the
misalignment that’s bringing on the
strain causing your costochondritis
DR.W.
My wife has costochondritis and Fibromyalgia, I had her take Yoga and have her do very light stretching with bands and light strength exercise this has
helped immensely. If you should try this you must start off very light and just for 5 minutes and slowly build up. If it helps you must not stop doing it or pain will come back.
Thanks...I am trying to carefully stretch. I had 2 chiro adjustments this past week and was out each time. I am going to go next week and have him adjust my ribs....I want to wait until the inflammation is down some.
Maybe I will try some band stretching here at home this week! Hmmmm
Still looking for strong anti inflammatory the natural way...tried cayenne today and got a little heartburn...lol...will keep taking it though.
I take the cayenne after a meal. try a little vinagar if you get heartburn and I mean
a little.
Try the paleo diet. It's the best anti-inflammatory diet. It worked for me.
I had 4 attacks of that in my life.  Heating pad and 800 mg of Ibuprofen will bring relief.  Never put an ice pack on the area. First time I had it, I didn't know what is what.  Any kind of trauma to that side can bring on another attack.