Probiotics??
Can someone please tell me a few good brands for Adult Probiotics?? My Dr told me and I forgot and of course he is out of town for a week. Started with Nature?? I want to go to Whole Foods tonight.

My girls are on probiotics and were just recently under the weather... and I swear they were able to fight through the bug because of the probiotics!

Thanks!

MK

Natren Healthy Trinity is the best
Agree with above.  But it's also extremely expensive.  New Chapter and Mega Foods also make good ones, but also are expensive.  It should only help with your immunity if you've had a die-off, usually due to antibiotics or steroidals, but hey, placebo works as well as anything else.  And it can't hurt you.  
So probiotics only help with your immunity due to antibiotics? Not to take to help keep you healthy??
No it helps keep you healthy (your immunity) could help with the swine flu.
Natren Healthy Trinity 60 pills $67.99 that's what I pay.
Thanks so much! My girls just got a bug and it only last maybe 48 hours if that! They have been on the probiotics for months now! Going to get them now :)
Probiotics basically keep the bad guys, such as candida, from moving in and establishing residence on your intestinal walls.  They also help in the production of B vitamins and aid proper digestion.  They are part of the immune system.  But they aren't anti-virals, they don't protect against everything, just what they're supposed to.  Other things protect against other things, the body is complicated.  The rest of the immune system can be boosted with herbs such as astragalus, echinacea  (for short term use), and other herbs.  Olive leaf and elderberry are anti-virals.  Taking probiotics is important, but if you haven't had a die-off, there's no room for them to move in and they just pass through the body.  So while they can't hurt you, they also aren't a cure-all.  
I get confused on the need and safety of using bacteria-based probiotics (like acedophilus) versus yeast-based (like S. boulardii).

I'm on long-term antibiotic therapy, which increases my risk for yeast.  I've had some issues that were resolved with diet change and diflucan, and now I take nystatin to prevent another yeast overgrowth.

Any comments or advice?

Hmm, I am interested in finding out the best ones to prevent yeast, too, now that you mentioned it.

I am still awaiting test results from some gastric biopsies that were just taken a couple of days ago, so it's too soon to know what the test results will show.  I anticipate something like H-pylori, though.  So, there is a possibility I'll have to take antibiotics again.  No doubt I'll have to make a couple of dietary changes.  But, my PCP knows it's not too hard to convince me to make dietary changes if necessary, since I did a lot of this on my own.  

Speaking of which, what is Nystatin?
You're just wasting money if you take probiotics while taking nystatin and/or antibiotics, because those meds kill the probiotics.  It's usually following treatment with antibiotics, particularly long-term or repeated uses, and nystatin is just another type of antibiotic, that kills off the beneficial bacteria and creates the perfect opportunity for candida yeast to move in and get nice and comfy and hard to dislodge.  There are natural ways to do this, but while you're taking antibiotics, it's best to just finish the program before you begin with the probiotics.  By the bye, Nystatin is a prescription antifungal that kills of candida, as well as, ahem, probiotics.  Natural antifungals include oregano oil, pau d'arco, and a whole lot more you can read about in a thousand anti-candida books.  Some of them are even useful.  For systemic candida, which is when it gets into your organs, you have to deal with it by taking probiotics, mainly acidophilus and reuteri for yeast, and changing the diet so as not to attract the bad guys, meaning cutting out simple sugars and carbs (such as white flour and potatoes).  As to H-pylori, as with yeast, if it's just too entrenched, sometimes you just have to use a pharmaceutical product, but natural methods should be tried first so as to avoid the probiotic die-off and a rebound cycle.  Mastic gum, Manukka honey, and a couple other things I'm forgetting at the moment target h-Pylori naturally.  And as to the question about S. boulardi, that's derived from baker's yeast.  It's beneficial for the immune system.  And don't worry about it being yeast -- there are a lot of yeasts out there, and one doesn't turn into another -- baker's yeast can't become magically candida yeast.  Some books will tell you it does, but it doesn't.  So, there are a lot of books to read out there, and seeing a naturopath is a good idea for this, or a holistic nutritionist.  Good luck all.
Oh, I forgot to add, every candida diet will tell you to avoid wheat and dairy.
In laboratory cultures, the phenolic compounds in extra virgin olive oil had strong antibacterial effects against eight strains of H. pylori, including antibiotic-resistant strains. The compounds were also shown to be capable of remaining stable in the harsh acidic conditions of the stomach.