Complementary Medicine Community
Vitamin for High Blood Pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

Vitamin for High Blood Pressure

I have high blood pressure and a brian aneurysm and a pituitary brain tumor...had a hysterectomy 22years ago and was on HRT up til recently when this tumor started to mess with my body..my question is I read the high doses of Vitamin E can help with hot flashes but there is a concern if you are on Blood pressure meds...so how much a day could I take without messing up my drugs?
Black cohosh. Used in Europe for more than 40 years, this herb may help moderate hot flashes, mood swings and insomnia, and has proven to be effective in several studies. For relief of menopausal symptoms, especially hot flashes, begin taking 20 mg twice a day for six weeks, then try increasing the dose to 40 mg twice per day if hot flashes do not decrease in severity or intensity. Although early evidence was mixed, black cohosh does not appear to have direct estrogenic effects and women with a history of breast cancer can safely use it.
Whole soy foods. As you may know, soy foods contain plant estrogens, and Japanese women whose diets contain soy experience fewer hot flashes. Although we continue to investigate the role of soy (other elements of the Japanese diet and lifestyle may play a part), adding soy to your diet may help. I suggest two helpings daily of whole soy foods such as tofu, tempeh, edamame (green soy beans in the pod) and miso.

Research by investigators found that the average woman in a study experienced fewer hot flashes after exercising, overweight and less fit women had the smallest reduction in symptoms.  
Please, check with your doctor first!!

While black cohosh can help with estrogen, most women don't have an estrogen problem, they have a progesterone problem.  That's why most experts in natural health use formulas, not single herbs.  But this woman has had a hysterectomy, so it's highly unlikely any of us on here can help -- you need expert advice because you're missing some of the tools to utilize hormones produced naturally.  As for Vitamin E, it unfortunately hasn't proved in studies to be very effective in lowering cholesterol or blood pressure, but the studies also didn't use the complete Vitamin E, which would include mixed tocoperols and mixed tocotrienols.  Again, due to your array of problems, I just wouldn't do this by yourself -- very high doses of anything can cause problems.  When you do pursue this, look into evening primrose oil, and there are many natural supplements that might lower blood pressure, but you can't double take them if you're on medication.  Be careful out there.
A lot depends on the etiology of the high blood pressure. Years ago I worked on the NDA for calcium channel blockers. The drug company studies suggested that a universe of people with idiopathic hypertension could control this with vitamin D3 and calcium supplements without other drugs.  That does not mean that everyone with high blood pressure can lower it with these supplements. There is a genetic componant. In one test study 15-18 percent of the test subjects could significantly lower blood pressure with calcium and D3.
But wouldn't this leach out magnesium, thus creating another avenue for heart disease just as any overuse of calcium does?
I no longer have the study, or the amounts of calcium or D3 administered, but if I recall the supplements were not that much. I cannot comment about a possible avenue for heart disease.