Complementary Medicine Community
dgl licorice, aloe vera gel/juice and omeprazole for stomach

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

Hi guys i have suffered with reflux on and off for about 7 years. Started off on omeprazole after endoscooy then inxe symptoms stopped would ease myself off them only for symptoms to come back at some point every year and so back on the  meds. Last year i got some bad symotoms start up and was fed up with popping pills so tried dgl licorice with aloe vera juice instead. Worked a little but not entirely so went to doc and had another endoscopy (which came back all clear of any nastys). Doc stuck me on zantac this time and seemed to clear up. Fast forward 6 months and i have been having bad stomach pains, burning in stomach with reflux for around 3 weeks so back on the omeprazole (as know supposed to work better than zantac) but it doesnt seem to be working.

Was wondering if it would be ok to take dgl and aloe vera juice at same time as omeprazole to maybe "double up" the effects?? - anyone have any experience with this?
My mother takes betaine HCI with pepsin to increase stomach acid (high acid is not common) and digestive enzyme supplements for good digestion (low stomach acid also leads to insufficient pancreatic digestive enzymes).

With these supplements, my mother's GERD and LPR (both severe) vanished in weeks. She did rule out H Pylori bacteria first with the urea breath test in case this was the cause of her reflux.

Her reflux returned a few times. Once was due to magnesium deficiency, another due to a side effect of iron supplements, and the most unusual cause of reflux - a 2cm colon polyp that was clearly almost blocking her bowel!

From an excellent article about stomach acid from Baseline of Health Foundation:

"The bottom line here is that most people are very confused about the role stomach acid plays in health. Most people:

Think they have too much, when in fact they have too little.
Treat the symptom and suppress stomach acid production, ultimately leading to long-term health problems.
Ultimately lose the capacity to produce sufficient stomach acid as a result of dietary abuse and continual use of medications to suppress the body's ability to produce it.

Don't get into that trap.

Use digestive enzymes with all your meals.
Drink aloe vera juice.
Use probiotic supplements with confidence.
Use proteolytic enzyme supplements with confidence.
And, if needed, use apple cider vinegar or betaine hydrochloride supplements to make up for stomach acid insufficiency."
Taking Metamucil every day may help.  Instead of mixing up the powder in water, my boyfriend takes 5 capsules with a glass of water.  It solved his mild problem, so it might help yours.
I would not use the licorice for long because it can raise bp.
DGL, a specially prepared form of licorice (which does not affect blood pressure like plain licorice can). This is very good for GERD or reflux.Take two lozenges before meals. It rebuilds the protective mucosal coating that lines the gastric walls so that acid (which we need for digestion) does not cause irritation and discomfort. Don't use the capsules, the DGL needs to make contact with your saliva to be activated.

Also smaller meals, don't eat too late in the day, avoid black pepper, caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods. Also try eliminating gluten-containing grains (wheat, rye, kamut, and barley) it can give relief from GERD.
I have a physician friend who takes lots of aloe vera and a few tablespoons apple cider vinuger and swears by the combination. That experience is anecdotal, of course.
My guess is you used the DGL and aloe improperly.  And Gymdandee, I've said this before, the dosage of DGL depends on the product -- most are chewing one tablet 20 minutes before a meal, not two, because they contain more DGL.  And as Gymdandee noted, DGL is specially formulated licorice that removes the active part that raises blood pressure.  Please, people, let's be careful here, people are looking for help.  

The problem for the poster is that Zantac and all the other meds taken for this suppress stomach acid, which works for awhile, but eventually the stomach must make more acid in order to digest protein.  This creates a rebound effect, which is good for the pharmaceutical industry because it means you have to keep taking the medication forever whereas GERD comes and goes.  But you also have to alter your diet by finding out what it is you're eating that is causing the problem.  My guess is you didn't take enough aloe juice, or used a brand such as George's that tastes good and is cheap but contains insufficient parts of the aloe plant responsible for its action.  There are also other products that can help, such as slippery elm, chamomile, digestive enzymes and for people who can take it, and this is true, cayenne, but most Americans can't handle it.  What I would do to get off this treadmill is see a professional such as a naturopath who can guide you through this to a conclusion.  Good luck.
200–300 mg tablet is chewed three times per day before meals and before bed! Source: The Healing Power of Herbs. Paxiled, Just because you stated this before doesn't mean you're 100% correct!
First of all, dosage depends on the person in natural medicine -- there is no one size fits all.  Some people may only need it only once a day, some twice, some more -- it just depends on the person.  This is holistic medicine.  But that isn't what I was saying, what I was saying is that different companies put different dosages in each pill, so while cheaper brands say to chew two pills at a time, some better companies say just one because there's more DGL in them.  I take Planetary Formulas as needed, not all the time, and it's a big pill that you only need one.  That's all I was saying -- you keep telling people to chew two pills before meals, but it depends on the brand.