Complementary Medicine Community
does massage therapy help upper back pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

I want to know how effective massage therapy is for helping with upper back pain.dr. receommended I try it.Back is so painful that I am scared it may hurt worse.
-2 Comments Post a Comment
from internet seach, I found from http://medicalhealthguide.com/category/brain-spinal/backpain/backpain03.php, that massage theraph\y is good for backpain, especially if used with essential oils. There are other suggestions that can be found in the site.
Hi, I have had back problems since a teen ( Scoliosis then )  and later a wreck with damage from a truck landing on me, then a ruptured L4 disk in my 40's and Fibro in my 60's. Now,  osteopenia and waiting for a new Dex test results tomorrow.
     Have you tried a Chiropractor or Osteopath ?  I think these have a place in treating back problems but one needs to be careful in who you choose.  I went in for treatment after ( but  unknown to me at the time ) I had ruptured the L4 disk ( lower back  ) and it did no good. Because of the pain, I then went on to a Neurologist and the end result was that the Disk had been not only ruptured but shattered and peices were cutting thru the nerves to one leg.  I can't help but think the manipulation may have resulted in shattering the disk.
     Because of the other problems mentioned, I have used massage therapy off and on.
Actually, if i could afford it , I would get a massage every week.  I know it gives at least temporary releif for muscle tightness and pain but since i have not done it with regularity I can't say it will cure anything.  Sometimes I think if a disk is just bulging and the muscles are relaxed enough through massage, the disk may slip back into place.
     I do know that proper, prescribed ( by a Physical Therapist ) exercise often strenghtens the back muscles and results in some releif by helping the back muscles support the spine.
    I would not let anyone manipulate my back without x-rays as my experience showed things can be missed even if the x-ray is done. Befor the surgery I had an MRI.
    I believe those who treated me did so with my best intrest in mind but we & our conditions are each so different that " one treatment doesn't fit all conditions " and it is hard to know what will bring abt. the best results.
    No matter what you choose to do be sure that person treating you has a lot of experience.
    Hope you get the help you need.
                                                            pj
I have CERAGEM bed at home which I use frequently. This kind of  spine massage is   one of a kind and also very helpfull to me. Infra red heat is soothing and I can put this  heat pad anywhere  on my body while I get my spine  massage.
I believe strongly in massaging pressure points along the spine for relief of so many ailments and back pains. Unfortunately Ceragem does not recommend this type of massage to people with spinal or any back surgeries. To dangerous for unexpected self injury. Hugs,Sunes.
Carol, try Sarah Lovell in Winthrop, Ma.She will not hurt you.
www.theinnerpeacemassage.com
You may also check "The Miracle Ball Method" by Elaine Petrone.
Massage may sometimes help with upper back pain. Sometimes. The mechanism of the pain must be ascertained. Often such pain is due to compression of nerves at the cervical level, so an MRI is indicated. Simple muscular pain is helped by massage, particuliarly "deep" massaging. If the problem is nerve compression in the spine massage may indeed make it worse.
Yes as caregiver222 stated yes massage is helpful but you want to ruleout any serious issues such as herniated disk, or other back related problems. Overall a swedish massage is very beneficial to relaxing the body, getting rid of toxins in the body and muscle relaxation. If you ever come to Atlantic City come to Elizabeth Arden for a relaxation massage I work there and the spa is beautiful.