Complementary Medicine Community
flaxseed supllements , fish oil supllements and evening primrose oil su...

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

flaxseed supllements , fish oil supllements and evening primrose oil supllements

Hy i was wondering if it is safe to take all those 3 supplements 1 each a day
I am taking as well 2 tablets  of spirulina  and women's multi but alternate 1 one day and 1 the day after
i give to my husband 2 tablets of spirulina every day and 1 tablet of fish oil and 1 tablet of flaxseed oil
you answer will be much appreciated
Tablet of fish oil or capsule?  Should be a gel cap, not a tablet.  And one a day is way too little for a capsule; you need a lot more than that for proper supplementation.  Don't know why you're taking it or which one you're taking -- they don't all have the same amount of DHA and EPA in them -- so can't tell you how much to take.  Same with spirulina.  You need a lot more than you're taking.  Both are foods, and you need to take enough to add up to something.  There is no right dosage for spirulina, but at least seven tablets would be the minimum.  Powder works better, but it can be a pain.  Evening primrose, again, why are you taking it?  Wouldn't normally be something a man would take, so I imagine you're taking it.  The question is why you're taking it, and again, what the dosage of the capsule is.  Now, as to whether you should be taking them, that would depend on what else is going on.  For example, since fish oil is a blood thinner, you couldn't take it if you were on a pharmaceutical product that thins blood.  Evening primrose is mainly for the GLA and hormone balancing for women, but if you were taking certain meds or balancing hormones in some other way, it could pose a problem.  The only problem with spirulina is that some people don't digest it that well, but otherwise it's pretty benign.  As you can see, anything can be a problem depending on what else is going on.  Always research contraindications with supplements just as you would with meds.  In fact, even food should be researched; there are foods that are inappropriate for certain people.  
the reason why i am taking so little is because i have no conditions not me not my husband but i just wanted to take a bit of everything
like i take i capsule of primrose 1of fish oil and 1 of flaxseed  only because all they have omega 3 6 9
i just don't want to overdo it
and the same with spirulina i just take 2 every second day because i take woman's multi I alternate those 2  and again i don't want to over do it
and I want to stay healthy but in the same time i am afraid that i am 25 and i am gonna adjust my body on to many supllements
and 4 my husband i give him every day only because he has in his familly many cases of hurt desists  and cancer and i am trying somehow to make myself feel better by trying to prevent it
i give him 2 spirulina 1fish oil and 1 flaxseed everyday
what do you think i should do?????????/
thank you very much
Spirulina isn't a supplement, it's food.  If you don't take enough, don't take it at all, you're wasting money.  What you're doing is like eating one bite of broccoli.  Spirulina is a vegetable that happens to be very high in nutritional value, so if you don't take enough, you aren't "eating" it at all.  Fish oil is similar, if you don't take enough, you aren't "eating" it.  It's a food, not an isolated supplement like taking one vitamin.  Further, while fish oil and flax oil both contain omega 3 fatty acids, they predominate in different ones.  Fish oil contains DHA and EPA; flax oil has other omega 3 oils and some 6 and 9 as well.  So they don't do the same thing.  If you were going to do just one instead of both, I'd say take the fish oil, but if you were a vegetarian, I'd say take the flax.  I take both.  Evening primrose oil is completely different, and if you have no reason to take it, don't.  While it is a source of GLA, an omega 9 fatty acid that is very helpful, borage oil or black currant seed oil would be better sources for that.  The reason people take evening primrose is usually for women's hormonal problems and regulation, and if you're doing fine there you probably don't need it.  So again, with spirulina, the powder is better absorbed and easier to get the proper amount, but if you take the tablets, make sure it's a good company, organically grown, and take at least 7 tabs a day and perhaps more.  For fish oil, follow the directions on the label; it comes in many doses and I don't know what you have.  And the evening primrose is up to you, but if you don't need it, it's expensive for just a throw-in.  And there's no need to alternate the multi with the spirulina -- spirulina, again, is just a very nutritious vegetable, so how often you take it is entirely up to you.  A multi-vitamin, because of its low absorption, needs to be taken each day.  
ok thank you very much you've been very helpfull
lucy
what kind of doctor could give me the right advice how to take and what to take for my needs?
I've had good results from a naturopath.
Or a holistic nutritionist.  Doctors are not educated on nutrition.
thank you
thank you very much
I've been to a naturopath  and I asked him about all those supplements and he put me to stop all of them and he gave me some liquid extract (of course I had to pay for it )of  WITHANIA / LICORICI / OLIVE LEAVE  and he wants me to go back in two weeks
You think that he is trying to do business or.................
thak you

I don't know what you said to him, so no way to know what he's attempting.  You're right to be skeptical about any health professional trying to sell you proprietary supplements.  Sometimes they're good, sometimes not so good.  Basically, he's giving you two adaptogens in the ashwagandha and the licorice, but I don't have any idea why you'd want to take olive leaf on a regular basis.  Also, if you have high blood pressure, you should avoid licorice, but it doesn't sound like you do.  But again, something in your conversation must have told him you were in a weakened condition for him to choose that particular combination.  I have no idea why he would tell you to stop fish oil or spirulina, as they're very useful foods, but since he's your doc now, ask him.  Make him explain everything, just as you should an allopathic doctor.  
he is naturopath chiropractic and other few and i went and i told him that i am not sure how much i have to take so i better see professional advice and he said  that he has to check me out so he start to pres  on my stomach and on my legs with some magnet and at the end he said that he can see that i am stress and  that my liver felt not to good and it may be from the fish oil evening oil and flaxseed oil and about spirulina he said that he didn't have any effects with and he said to try that extract for 2 weeks to see   how i am going to feel
He sounds fishy to me, but what do I know?  Essential fatty acids are essential to proper liver function, so that's confusing.  Spirulina, again, is just a food, so that's confusing, too.  And you weren't taking enough of any of them except perhaps the primrose oil to get enough into your system to do anything.  Plus, his formula has nothing to do with the liver.  But what the hey, it'll fun to try -- you'll learn something, and he might have a few good tricks up his sleeve.
maybe
any way next time i am gonna tell him that i don't have time to keep going back because i think this is what he wants.is probably just waste of money and that is all
do yo think i should just stop taking primrose?i take just 1 a day
what primrose is doing wrong to my body?
thank you very much for your help
you've been more helpful then he was
regards, LUCIA
and you wrote for me before that you are taking fish oil and flax seed oil how much are you taking of both i am not vegetarian and i am not taking any other medicine except  birth control pills.  And my hormonal imbalance(for primrose oil) ...i don't now  if i have   but i get stressed out very quick and i am very nervous........ so i donT know but that was the reason why i was taking primrose.
can you please give me an advice how much to take of those capsules?
thank you very much