Complementary Medicine Community
memory loss and balance

This forum is for questions and support regarding acupuncture, chiropractic, dietary supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathy, naturopathic medicines and treatments.

Complementary medicine is used in conjunction with conventional medicine. For example, aromatherapy can be used to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery. Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. For example, acupuncture may be used instead of surgery for back pain that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

memory loss and balance

I'm 57 and have mild cognitive impairment. It affects my memory and learning.  I was diagnosed about 9 years ago.  I have an arachnoid cyst in my brain (left temporal lobe) and had a shunt inserted in 1998.  I've also had 4 mini strokes.  They were cause by hypercoagulable cerebrovascular disease with a circulating IGM (44) ( anticardiolopid antibody syndrome).  These have all been stable for the last 10 years and I have not had any major problems.  I also have an autoimmune disorder which causes inflamation (inflammation) in my body, especially in my legs.  I find it very difficult to climb stairs or get back up after stooping down.  

Last September I went to an acupuncturist to see if it could help with the inflamation (inflammation) in my legs.  And it did.  I felt a difference right away.  It was amazing.  I had 3 treatments.  But I started to feel some negative effects also.  My balance was noticably worse and my short term memory was also noticably worse.  i started to get very "foggy".  I discontinued because I was worried about the negative effects on my memory.  Having had 4 mini strokes and mild cognitive impairment makes me more at risk for Alzheimers.  My memory and balance both returned to normal after I stopped.

Last December 21, I started drinking Xango mangosteen juice.  And it was like the acupuncture all over again.  The inflamation (inflammation) went away in my legs, but I have the same negative effects with my balance and memory.  I'm still drinking the mangosteen juice to give it more of a chance, but I'm afraid I will have to discontinue it soon if the balance and memory problems don't go away.  I've had 2 occurencees of memory problems so far.

Does anyone have ANY idea, why I am always having a problem with memory and balance when my inflamation (inflammation) goes down?  I get so excited when I can get up the stairs so easily and then get so let down.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Mary

-4 Comments Post a Comment
hi mARY, tHIS MAY NOT COME CLOSe TO ADDRESSING YOUR PROBLEM BUT-- MY HUSBAND HAD A SUCCESSFUL BRAIN TUMOR SURGERY A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO AND AT THE TIME THEY TOLD HIM THAT HE " MIGHT " EXPERIENCE SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS.  Until recently, no problem to speak of in that area, but------ he has also had High Blood Pressure all those years ; even in his teens but was unable to tolerate the meds so was not taking anything for that . He went in to emergency ( 3 mos ago ) with a pulsating behind one eye,  His BP was monitered for 3 hrs and it was determined that he has Chronic HBP and he is now on a med for it.  At that time they informed him that Chronic High BP could cause damage and memory loss . Since he has been on meds the BP has stabilized, but only with taking it 2x a day and his memory is gradually improving ,but due to the damage caused  -- between the HBP and the surgery , it will probably not be as good as in younger years, befor these two things occured.  I don't recall  his ever having been warned about the memory loss with HBP so of course we weren't thinking in those terms.  If we had been, might have been more apt to have kept in closer touch with Drs over the last 15 years concerning that.
   He also has Arthritis ( diagnosed in his early 20's ) and a lot of pain but on no meds. Has always said, if he had not continued to stay active and get exercise  , he feels he would have been crippeled / unable to work at some point.
   He has found that regular exercise helps, in his case walking. He feels better and head is clearer, also lost weight although he was never grossly overweight,
   Hope you find  answers & something that will help you !

You need to help your body to build up your immune system.The breathing exercises - pranayam is a holistic approach creating extra oxygen supply in the body and will slowly help with the health problem.Do the pranayam to see the benefits.Build up your timing slowly and after two weeks at the suggested duration you will start to notice benefits.There will be no side effects.Report your progress here, so others may benefit.
If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose.Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom - Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 10 times
----
Only by doing you will benefit and will feel good that you can do something to help the body.Copy and print this to master the technique.This is  simplified pranayam for everyone and you do not have to go to classes to learn. This is for life unlike short term classes where you do it in the class then stop when classes are over.  
Nearly any fruit juice contains things that work better with an ample air supply. Problems with balance tell me that you would do well to try intentional hyperventilation. I find my smoothies digest more quickly if I hyperventilate. In some people it will raise heart rate and blood pressure, though, so be careful not to exceed a heart rate that you would experience with a sprint. And, as hava mentioned, intake through the nose is useful, too. You might even be able to sense that your lungs aren't the only tissue in your body capable of gas exchange. If you feel self-conscious about it, then try joining a class. On another key, you might try smaller and more frequent amounts of juice.
Dear Mary,
I have seen tremendous results for autoimmune disorders using  ayurvedic protocol.  If you do not have a credible practioner near you it is possible Kripalu.org can refer you to one of thier graduates.

In addition although I take my clients into intentional hyperventilation as a trained Integrative Breatherpy practioner, I do not recommend this lightly with any type of brain injury, some heart conditions, glaucoma, seizures and stroke.  The breath is energy work using the body as a tool.  Hyperventilation will often retrace or follow a previous energetic pattern such as seizues and strokes that have been imprinted or "carved"  into the energy body. Conscious connected (circular) breathing in a relaxed manner will clear debris and used regularly has seen good results raising the body to a very healthy alkaline level and creating new neuropathways  in the brain.

There is a cirlular breath guided CD availabe from a colleague at integrationconcepts.net.

I wish you strong heart and good health.

Many Blessings,
Susan

Scientists have found that one fruit could hold the key to supercharging your memory.One little fruit could stop or even reverse years of cognitive decline.
This  fruit contains special substances that help your brain cells send and receive information faster. Much faster. Plus, according to the new research, it doesn't take long for your brain to start working lightening fast...just 12 weeks.
Berry blocks natural brain aging
Over the years, lots of studies have shown that this fruit reduces your risk of vision loss, weight gain, heart disease, and certain types of cancer. That's nothing new. But very recently, scientists have also found that it also protects your brain from aging.
Blueberries, which contain two special kinds of antioxidants called anthocyanins and flavanols. They are special because they can cross the blood-brain barrier. Very few nutrients on Earth can do this. Once there, they scrub your brain cells and get rid of harmful free radicals. And that's important...because free radicals in the brain can lead to oxidation, memory loss, and even Alzheimer's disease.
Blueberries also help existing nerve cells in the brain to communicate with each other better. They even appear to encourage the growth of new nerve cells in the brain.
If Big Pharma came up with a drug that could grow new nerve cells in the brain. Not that it could (or would) ever happen, but can you imagine the headlines: "Grow New Brain Cells with Our Miracle Drug!!!!!" Sure, there would be the occasional side-effects, like your head exploding. But that's a small risk.
Thankfully, you don't have to wait for Big Pharma's next wonder drug. Blueberries can improve your brain function right now.
Boost your learning capacity
For the latest study, researchers fed aging rats a blueberry-enriched diet for one or two months. They also sent the rats through a series of mazes to test their cognitive ability. The faster the rat got through the maze, the better its score.
The first time the aging rats ran through the maze, they scored badly. But after eating a diet filled with blueberries they all performed better, even the rats who were fed blueberries for just one month. In fact, in just one month's time, they scored just as well as the young rats in the study. On the other hand, the aging rats fed a normal diet performed worse on later tests.
In addition, the aging rats fed blueberries for at least two months kept their young brains.
Well, these rats continued to perform like young rats even months after they stopped eating the blueberries. So it appears that eating blueberries has a lasting affect on the brain.
According to Dr. David Malin, PhD, the team's lead researcher, "The present results suggest that even a relatively brief blueberry diet might produce measurable benefits. Second, the benefits of several months of the diet might be maintained for a considerable period after the diet is interrupted. Third, blueberry supplementation might possibly reverse some degree of memory impairment that has already developed. This raises the possibility that this sort of nutritional intervention might still be beneficial even after certain memory deficiencies have become evident."
In other words, eating blueberries can really help your memory... even if you already show signs of mental decline. Plus, once you start eating blueberries, the results seem to be long-lasting.

Now, these results came from testing rats. And the research has to come a long way before we can say with certainty that we'll get the same results on humans. But the emerging data looks really positive. In fact, last year researchers from the University of Cincinnati found that men and women who drank about 500 mL of blueberry juice improved their learning and word list recall in just 12 weeks! They also significantly improved their depressive symptoms.
These delicious brain-boosters are one of the 'dirtiest' fruits on Earth. In fact, each year the Environmental Working Group ranks fruits and vegetables according to their pesticide residue. And last year blueberries ranked fifth 'dirtiest.' This means that most blueberries on the shelves at your local grocery store are covered in pesticides.

Is there such a thing as a 'clean' blueberry?
The truth is, washing fruits and vegetables with soap and water (or even the specialty washes) does very little to remove pesticides. The only safe way around the problem is to avoid commercially grown produce. Choose organic instead. Another great option is to look for a supplement that contains blueberry extract.