Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Bacterial Infection
About This Forum:

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bacterial Infection

Hello.  I recently had a molar extracted from my bottom R side of my mouth.  I have had extractions before with a local antisthetic before, but this experience I just went through has left me with a bad taste in my mouth, quite literally!!  The procedure occured 5 days ago and prior to this I had been taking antibiotics, amoxicylin 500 mg 3x/day.  I finished the antibiotics 2 days prior to the extraction.  During the extraction while trying to numb me with a local, the hygenist was having a hard time getting me completely numbed.  This went on for the better part of an hour and finally the dentist put a shot straight into the tooth and through the middle and the tooth was able to be extracted in about 5 minutes.  I left the office with two sutures and got home to sleep awhile.  When I woke, I felt a lot of pain but figured it should subside within the next day or so.  It did not....  Long story short, I went back to the office because I am a smoker and thought I was experiencing a dry socket 2 days later.  They said it wasn't a dry socket but went ahead and irrigatd the area and sent me on my way.  The pain has basically been getting worse since that point and being 5 days after the initail extraction, I called yet again because where the sutures are near my gum I noticed a white odd shaped area in which I thought looked like tarter but I've been rinsing my mouth out with saltwater and brushing the other areas of my mouth.  As a nursing student I have put 2 and 2 together and decided this is an infection of some sort.  Warm to the touch, red, swelling, painful, and pussing, with a low grade fever = INFECTION!!!!  The dentist called me in an antibiotic, clindamycin.  But my question is what are any other things I should look out for in the next coupke days.  I prefer to treat the cause of the pain and not just the pain itself!!  Is this something you've heard of before??  Thanks for getting back to me at your convenience.