Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Bone transplant to jaw

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

Bone transplant to jaw

Because of a bad implant surgery I have lot over 85 percent of my lower jaw in the front.  I am now faced with a one shot surgery of a large bone graft from my hip to replace lost bone tissue grafts and new implants.  I am very frightened. The new surgeon that will be doing this is one of the best in the country, and I have been told if my mouth can be fixed he will be the one that can.  Problem is he studies you but not really talks.  Is this the only option?  How bad will mouth and hip pain be, when will I be able to go back to work. Also have you ever seen a case like this?  I am pretty young, and have been told that they do have patients this bad but they are in their 90's.  Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Jenny
Hi Jenny,
this could happen and there are great results that you may get from this. This is a great option and a good thing to do as well as there are many complications associated with not doing this surgery now, especially if you are young. You should feel comfortable enough talking to your surgeon however, and if needed, take someone with you to have them ask all the questions that you have for you. This is an important procedure that you are doing, and also you are going to be visiting this doctor most likely for a long time, so your relationship with them is as important. You need to feel comfortable enough to say anything to your surgeon, you should feel like family with them and they should feel the same toward you. Remember, you are not your teeth and you are a person and your surgeon must remember that as well. There are quite a few great surgeons all over the US, and make sure this person is not only good, but has great love for you as well. With any kind of surgery there is pain and swelling but all these can be controlled with medication and time will go by and you will be able to enjoy your teeth and not have to worry about further bone loss. Make sure they explain to you the complications associated with the bone loss and surgery. You might find the info on this link helpful a little:

http://www.top3dentists.com/pages/implants

http://dentalinformationblog.com/implant-dentistry/are-you-thinking-of-having-dental-implants-stop-and-read-this-first/01/12/2009

http://dentalinformationblog.com/implant-dentistry/hip-graft/02/25/2009