Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Can infected wisdom teeth cause severe headaches and migraines?

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

Hello:)

For the past 3 months I have endured pain from migraines daily. I have never had a migraine before the first one about 3 months back. I started seeing a neurologist of which has no theory or known cause as to why I am a migraine sufferer. I recently discovered that I have two infected wisdom teeth. I am having surgery tomorrow to get them extracted, however I am scared that the wisdom teeth may not be the cause of the daily migraines I have been enduring. Is it possible for wisdom teeth to cause that much pain? Also, is it normal for an oral surgeon to extract a wisdom tooth while infected without antibiotic treatment first? What are the complications and/or possibilities of this?

Thanks,
Scared and Worried
Yes your wisdom teeth could be the cause of your headaches (called referred pain). As far as extracting them while you have an infection.....it all depends on the severity of the infection. If your face is severely swollen, I doubt it that the OS would do an extraction. But if you just have some abscess below the roots it is actually better to have them  removed. And if you still have headaches after the extraction they could be due to something else.....such as TMD (temporomandibular disorder). At that time I would recommend seeing a TMJ expert.
Good luck
Thanks for the comment. It helped me a lot and I will look into TMJ because I have a lot of the symptoms associated with that disorder...just always thought it was normal.
(temporomandibular disorder what is this i get ALOT of migrain headaches almost daily and some days they make me ill i know its not normal nor is all the excederine i eat almost every day and i dont have my wisdom teeth any more they've been gone for yearss! thank you