Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Failed Root Canal - malpractice?

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

Failed Root Canal - malpractice?

I had tooth #19 that needed a root canal about 6 months ago and went through with it and all seemed ok, except at the end after the crown was placed the tooth seemed still slightly sensitive to pressure and just didn't feel right.

Forward 6 months it was still bugging me and I am getting braces on in a month so I had to ask my dentist about it and he took some xrays and said it looks like their filling didn't go far enough into the root so he was going to retreat it. So today they did the retreatment and he pulled my xray up to show me and pointed out that for some reason they cleaned out the canal, but the appointment to fill the canals was never done, and he put in the post, core, and then crown, without the canal being filled.

How could such an oversight be allowed in dentistry like this? How is it possible that my dentist could not be aware the canal was not filled when putting in post, etc? Is there no obvious way for my dentist to realize that the canals were never filled outside of an xray?

I first noticed there could indeed be a problem with the way it was performed because of panoramic xrays a couple months after that were taken for orthodontics. Indeed the canals looked empty aside from the one post.

Is my dentist incompetent/not paying attention or what? Or is it an easy mistake to miss because screw ups at the front desk regarding what was supposed to be done on my appointment?

There is an xray to show you what the finished restoration looked like a couple months ago that was taken by my orthodontist.

[URL=http://img27.imageshack.us/i/teeth7g.jpg/][IMG]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5854/teeth7g.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

If retreatment fails and the tooth must be extracted is this a case for malpractice? Not filling the canals seems to be outside the normal accepted standards of treatment, even if it was a mistake, and this will cost me an implant bill as well as the emotional distress due to the fact losing a molar will negatively affect how I look.
I kind of screwed up with the link posting since html is disabled. Copy and paste this link for the x-ray.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5854/teeth7g.jpg
Seeing an endodotist is advised.