Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Heat sensitivity after 3 root canals and a tooth removal

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

About 4 years ago I started experiencing pain in my left upper first molar when eating anything (not heat-related at this time). I was told it was due to a wisdom tooth that was still in the gum, so I had it removed. Then, when the pain remained, I had a root canal done on the molar. The pain remained, and I just dealt with it for a few years.

Then I got an infection and was told that the pain and infection were related to my second molar (this was by a different dentist). So I had a root canal done on my second molar. The pain disappeared. But the tooth was sensitive so I didn't get it capped. After a few months, I started experiencing intense pains in the first molar when eating (not drinking), anything hot. I was referred to a root-canal specialist who believed he should redo the first root canal I had had on my first molar. Afterwards the heat pains subsided for about 2 months. Now they are back and occur even when drinking.

What could be causing this pain? Could it be something besides the tooth? Maybe the gum? I have already been to 2 dentists and a specialist.

Thanks.
Sam
Not all toothaches are odontogenous. If there is no structural pathology of alveolodental tissue, non-odontogenous toothache is probably the culprit of pain. Seeing an orofacial pain specialist is advised.
Thank you. The tooth is now sensitive to all temperatures. If this toothache isn't odontogenous, why would it have ceased for 2 months after having my root killed during the root canal?
A root canaled tooth is generally not responsive to thermal stimulus. if a non-vital tooth does respond to thermal or elctrical stimulus, the possibility is neuritis.