Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Lump under tongue

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

Lump under tongue

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help or give me advice.  I have had a lump under my tongue towards the back of my mouth for a few weeks.  I can't see it but I can feel it under my skin and have to get my finger right back under my tongue as it is really hard to find.  I went to my dentist today, who is referring me to a specialist at the hospital.  Now I am scared, is it something serious?  I am very scared, I lost my dad 6 months ago to esaphagus cancer, I am 23, I am slightly overweight but eat healthy meals, I dont drink (once a month if that) and I have never smoked so I am quite healthy.  Just recently anything wrong or illness I think the worse.  I really don't like feeling this way and just want my mind put to rest so i can get on with my life.  The lump is pea size, round, it feels hard and doesnt move.  It is not painful.  Someones suggested it could be something to do with salivary glands, is this possible?  If this is the worse outcome - cancer - what happens next?  I know I am thinking ahead too far and thinking the worse but I don't know how to put it to the back of my mind and relax until it is sorted. Hopefully it isn't anything to really worry about.  I hope!  The dentist said he will put my referral to the hospital first thing in the morning when I went this evening, how long will I have to wait to see someone?  If anyone has any advice or support I would really appreciate it.  Thanks.
1 Comment
I have had a small hard lump underneath my tongue for nearly three months now.  It first started out as a small lump and now the Lump is still there, but there is also a long, hard narrow things coming off of the lump.  It causes me a lot of pain, and often times goes to the back of my head.  Don't wait to get it taken care of.  I have been going to Dr. after Dr, and no one can tell me what it is.  I have even had a CT scan.  It could be a salivary gland issue.  Does it hurt at all when you eat?
I hope your specialist can give you some answers and get better care then I have.  I go back to my specialist on Friday.