Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Options for a dead tooth that has completely calcified

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

I have a dead tooth in the front which has begun to darken. The darkening began a few years ago and has gradually gotten worse. I'm not sure what trauma caused the tooth to die but it was probably a fall when I was a child (over 20 years ago). Several dentists over the year have noticed this and taken the appropriate x-rays to determine if a root canal was necessary. All have said that the tooth has calcified, which is rare, and I would not need a root canal as originally thought. I have no problems with the tooth except for the discoloration. I've recently consulted two dentists to determine options. Here's what I've been told:

Dentist 1: Recommended the porcelain veneer. Told me the root canal w/ internal bleaching would not be an option since the tooth had calcified. She said I could talk to an endodontist for a second opinion but felt that the root canal would only furthen weaken my tooth since they would likely drill more than necessary in search of a cavity that is not there. Also mentioned bonding but said the material is more translucent so she's generally not happy with its ability to correct a darkened tooth.

Dentist 2: Options are bonding, veneers, or root canal followed by internal bleaching. They recommended the root canal and said they think it could work.

I'm not quite confused about what to do. I trust Dentist #1 very much and am leaning towards the veneer but I am hesitant b/c of cost and the fact that the rest of my teeth are fine and I would have to get at least two to make the match look better.

Please let me know your thoughts. Even with a calcified tooth, could I ever have an issue with infection? Would a root canal ever be necessary? Is the veneer too  much or my best bet?
If there is no evidence of periapical lesion, you may go for restorative work whichever you prefer. if there is periapical lesion in the future, you can have periapical surgery with retrograde filling, of which procedure can save the tooth and without damaging the restoration. Detailed consultation with an endodontist is advised.
my problem is similar. my front tooth was ground away to try and make it even with the one next to it, and then a bonding material applied over twenty years ago. over the years the bonding fell off and the tooth kept getting darker and now two dentists have told me it is dead. how would they know and does it matter? there is no pain, and i fell flat on my face landing directly on that stupid tooth about a month ago and it hasnt even come loose.

one dentist believes a veneer wouldnt last long and the trauma of applying it may cause the tooth to need a root canal immediately, so he recommends either leave it alone of do a root canal and crown.

another dentist i asked would most likely do anything but i think he is dishonest.

i live in india and i dont think there are any endodontists except in delhi or mumbai perhaps.

what is a periapical lesion and how would i know if i had one? if i get a veneer could it still develop and what would need to be done at that point? i will not get a crown on a tooth that is perfectly good, it is too radical a reaction to something that simply looks ugly but works properly and doesnt hurt.

i live in india but will be going to america to visit my son. i dont think i could afford even a consultation with an endodontist in the usa. any other ideas for me? i dont think i would be concerned, but i feel bad to think my son will be embarrassed by me. (he is 30.)
What about having a root canal & then get a crown? That is what I have to do with my right front tooth because it got knocked loose in a motorcycle accident.My left front tooth was knocked loose from a baseball when I was in high school and I had bonding put on it and quite frankly the bonding looked like ****!!!So I went a year later and had a crown put on it & I was satisfied with the crown other than the fact that it stuck out more than I wanted it to due to the prior bonding that I had done!