Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Pain in whole left side of face/head and deep in gums after root canal

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

I had a root canal in a lower molar a week ago.  The dentist said that there was infection deep below the root which left a large pocket.  He filled it with extra filling material.  Since the root canal I have intense pain where this was injected and horrible pain in my whole left side of my face.  I went back to the dentist who ground down the back molar (next to the root canal) saying that it was too high.  Both of these molars have root canals and the dentist said the root canals were good.  He prescribed pain killers and antibiotics (but I was already taking antibiotics due to a sinus infection earlier).  The pain has not subsided.  It is excruciating.  I do know that when he was doing the root canal that my jaw would pop everytime I would close my mouth.  The other pain (other than the root area) seems to be located in my jaw joint and radiates to my head, ear, and neck on the left side.  I don't know what else to do.
I am NOT a dentist. But, I had horrible pain once after a dental procedure. I couldn't even open my mouth. To make a long story short, I was finally diagnosed with Complex Regional Pain Syndromd, and after about a week of medication to block the nerve pain, I was cured. The trick was that I found the right dentist/MD, Dr. Piper. He helps people with minor problems like mine, and people with very severe, long-standing problems. I was lucky to only be a few hours drive from him. But, he has many happy patients from all over the world. You can find more about him and his clinic on the internet at pipererc.com
Hope you feel better soon.
Seeing a tmj specialist is advised, if the quality of root canal treatment meets current standard of care.