Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Problems related previous 11mm overbite?

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

Hi there my names Tom, I'm a Biomedical Scientist. Here's my history. At about the age of 12 I had an 11mm overbite, a very triangular shaped face with a receded chin, I was VERY skinny with long thin limbs and In comparison to my face I had somewhat of large protrusive head. Timmy from South Park would be a good caricature of my appearance then.

Anyhow, I underwent 5 years of orthodontics. Non-surgical Rapid palatal expansion, then an appliance to bring my lower jaw forward, then a two piece appliance with bands to bring my jaw forward and correct asymmetrical growth,  then train track type braces for a couple of years. After which I was told to come back at the age of 18 to discuss surgery and I wore retainers everyday for about a year and a half and I occasionally still wear them. I had a period where I got quite a lot of orthodontic relapse and started wearing them on and off again.

Anyway fast forward and I am now 22. I am going to see an ENT soon as since I was about 19 I've had problems breathing through my nose. Recently I had a reunion with a couple of friends from school who I hadn't really seen since I was 17/18, needless to say we were looking at old photos. A couple of them commented that they thought my eyes were a scarily bigger than what they used to be. I have also been told my eyelids don't close when I sleep and I have been getting dry eyes a lot for a few years. They are rather protuberant. Graves would be the most obvious one but I don't think it's that.

Comparing pictures of when I was 17 and now, brings up a few things. 1) My eyes are a hell of a lot more protuberant 2) My face has changed shape a LOT. It's got wider. My forehead at the end of the orthodontic treatment was pretty sloped and in proportion. It is now a lot more protuberant, my face is a lot longer, my nose is larger and a lot more beaked and my nasal bridge appears to be more depressed.

So, could my breathing problems be associated with my previous orthodontic problems?

And could the changes in my eyes be to do with an maxillofacial changes?
Also to expand on the orthodontic relapse I had for a while, when I started wearing my retainers again it fell like I was undergoing the Rapid Palatal Expansion I underwent in the early stages of my orthodontic treatment.