Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Questions On Fillings vs Onlays/etc

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

Questions On Fillings vs Onlays/etc

Ok I think I know the answers to all this but I'd like to check with others.

I recently (last week) went to a new dentist. He gave me an exam and told me I needed 1) a deep cleaning and 2) I had some old fillings to replace. Two of the fillings were in back bottom molars and he said there were also some minor tooth fractures. One filling was a 4 surface and one was a 3 surface. One filling was about in the middle of the mouth and had a filling fracture and one is in a top back molar and had a small gap with leakage.

He wanted to do inlays/onlays on all of the teeth with fractures which would have run $ 1,000 per tooth.

I discussed it with him and he agreed that composite fillings would also work and that was $ 100-150 a tooth.It is my understanding that composite fillings actually strengthen teeth and make new fractures less likely. I also understand that while porcelin is slightly stronger they can also break/etc.

I do understand that these solutions are not permanent, eventually the composite fillings can wear out or it's possible the fractures will get worse and then require crowns. But I have only minimal cold/hot sensitivity on the one four surface filling and I understand that this is common for up to 4 weeks after a new filling plus I have a pocket near that tooth.

I also did the deep cleaning with four antibiotic patch inserts.

So after that long background my questions are

1. Did I make the right choices with the composite fillings ?

2. Did I make the right choices with the deep cleaning and antibiotic (most of my gums were 2 and 3, a few 4 and 5 and a couple 6).

3. How long should it be (I know this is a guestimate) before the composite fillings need to be replaced (I assume at that point it would be crowns).

4. What are the odds of either a tooth fracture or root canal on the back teeth.

Again I know without seeing me in person you can't say for sure but I'd like to get some input.
1 Comment
Just to make it clear I did composite fillings on the three teeth with craze lines and/or minor cracks. I haven't done the leaking filling yet but plan to in the next few months.