Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Reccurrent KCOT in Right Maxillary Sinus
About This Forum:

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Reccurrent KCOT in Right Maxillary Sinus

Hello,

I am a 17 year old male entering my senior year in high school. I have had two surgeries, in April and December of 2007, to remove an inflamed keratocystic odontogenic tumor (KCOT) in my right posterior maxillary sinus. Now, one and a half years later, a localized CT scan at an oral surgeon's office confirms that the cyst has once again returned, even though it did not appear as a solid mass on my current panoramic x-ray like it did on the orthodontist's x-ray that diagnosed the cyst in the first place. This has come as a surprise, since I am not suffering any symptoms of swelling of the surrounding gums or oral discharge that I experienced before my first diagnosis.
     My oral surgeon strongly suggests that I have the 4x5 centimeter cyst removed using the LeFort 1 operation (separating the lower jaw from the upper jaw) to access the cyst and have the best chance of removing it completely. Unfortunately, I do not want to undergo such a radical procedure at this point in my life. Before this third diagnosis, I was informed in the past by this same surgeon that cryotherapy would be the next step should the cyst return. However, this oral surgeon, a different doctor from the one that performed my first two surgeries, now refuses to perform a standard procedure with cryotherapy as he claims he will be unable to reach every "nook and cranny" in which the cells might be hiding.
     Is the LeFort 1 operation really necessary at this point? Also, since the surgeon has informed me that the cyst is benign, what are the chances of it becoming cancerous?

Thank you.