Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Salivary gland tumour

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

Salivary gland tumour
I have been diagnosed with a "possible minor salivary gland tumour". "It is suggestive of a benign process" I have been advised by the maxillofacial surgeon to have it removed.
Is this operation essential and what are the risks of not having it removed, it is very small and causes no discomfort. Is it true that 70% of this kind of tumour can turn to cancer?  Is there a chance that it may go away by itself as it seems to be getting smaller since the biopsy.? What are the risks involved in this operation beside the normal hospital stay and infection risks?
The written diognosis from the Dental radiologist to the surgeon uses words like 'possible,' 'clinical suspicion', 'suggestive of a benign process'
Can I be confident of their diognosis and go ahead with the surgery which involves removing an area of flesh from the roof of my mouth about the size of a large coin to remove any unhealthy cells, and an overnight stay in hospital?
Your descriptions are obscure.If a biopsy was perfomed, the histopathogic diagnosis made by a pathologist is generally definite.However, if a benign salivary gland tumor, is present, surgical intervention is indicated. A benign tumor rarely undergoes spontaneous resolution.