Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Swollen Cheek + TMJ?

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

Swollen Cheek + TMJ?

Hi, have had a slightly swollen left cheek for 4 weeks. Went to MD 11 days ago, he thought it was infected jaw from root canal. Put me on Amoxicillin 1700(?) mg/day for 10 days. Finished it today. Had no discernible effect. Have sev'l root canals, and only premolars (no molars) on swollen side.  Dentist thought it was TMJ because x-rays looked OK 9 days ago. Swelling gets worse overnight usually, and in general, sort of comes and goes. Much worse the last couple of days. I use a CPAP machine, and the mask cuts across the area where the swelling is. My question is should I see a TMJ specialist, a maxillofacial dentist, who? The teeth do not hurt, the cheek does when the swelling is up. It feel like an egg-shaped mass right below the cheek bone and back by the TMJ joint extending toward the front and lower face. No fever. Thanks!
1 Comment
Your descriptions don't suggest tmj related condition. Seeing an oral surgeon is advised.