Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Tooth Pain

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

Tooth Pain

I woke up a few days ago with a tooth that was very painful to touch.  In fact, the pain was unbearable.  If I didn't move my mouth or touch the tooth, then I only had medium constant pain which was tolerable.  I was put on an antibiotic and, after three days, the unbearable pain is gone, but the constant pain has slightly increased.  Now I'm getting swelling on my face right above the tooth near my sinus cavity.  Also, teeth around the tooth that was painful are now feeling some slight pain.  When I initially went to the dentist, he did an x-ray and said he didn't see a crack in the tooth, but that a lot of times they won't show up.  At the time, he only saw what could have been a small abcess (abscess).  My dentist is out of town for a week and I was wondering what I should do at this point.  I was put on a Z-Pack and it will run out tomorrow.  I'm allergic to Penicillin and Vancomycin.  Is there another antibiotic I could try.  I have used something in the past called Doxycycline in the past with no problems.  Would this be a better alternative?  Thanks  
1 Comment
Clindamycin, erythromycin and/or metronidazole are better treatment of choice than doxycycline.