Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
Wisdom Tooth Socket Not Healing

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

Wisdom Tooth Socket Not Healing

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed last Wednesday (August 12th, 2009) My two lower teeth were impacted, the two on the top were slightly erupted. On the Saturday after my surgery I was drinking a milkshake and a bit of phlegm developed so instinctively I created a bit of a vacuum in my mouth to get it all together so I could spit it out. I immediately felt a pain in the lower right socket so I got a piece of gauze and put it back there and bit down on it. I was fine for a few days, until Tuesday. I was having a dull throbbing pain so I called my surgeon's office and they asked me a few questions. They didn't think it was an infection (I don't seem to think so either - it doesn't hurt when I poke it with a water pik) but they said it could either be that it was a dry socket, or that I still required pain medication, so they phoned in a prescription for some tylenol 3's and some ibuprofen. The pain went away and hasn't come back (I'm still taking the meds.) My concern is this: I keep unintentionally disturbing the socket (I'm doing my best to leave it alone) and it doesn't appear to be healing. At all. When I look in the mirror in the bathroom, my other lower socket appears to be almost completely healed over, but the lower right one has a piece of the suture sticking out and it's still wide open. When cleaning the sockets with the water pik I don't feel any pain at all, but sometimes, depending on how forcefully I press the plunger, there is a moderate discomfort. I'm wondering if anyone is able to tell me if this is anything I should worry about or if I should just leave it be...or if I should get my surgeon on the phone and ask him to take a look at it. It's very annoying that I keep disturbing the socket, and I'm wondering if it will heal at all.
Also, is it normal to wake up with an odd taste in my mouth after the surgery? I wake up and spit out some yellowish stuff, brush my teeth and rinse with salt water/clean the sockets with the water pik and the "discharge"(if we want to call it that) doesn't return until I go to sleep and wake up the next morning.
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out about a week and a half ago and mine are still not completely healed. But I can see them slowly healing. I, too are constantly checking them out with my tongue but its only natural.

Were recommended to use savacol? Because i got told to use savacol to rinse out my mouth and I know that kills my taste buds and I get a funny taste in my mouth in the morning before I brush my teeth.

I think you should double check with ur surgeon, but it may be due to the salt water rinse? Savacol helped when I felt an infection coming on- even though I rinsed my mouth out with listerine- which doesnt help to keep bacteria down.
Try an antiseptic rinse solution like savacol. I know you have to pay for it, but it might just fix ur problem.