Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
bone grafting on facial bone of #9

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

bone grafting on facial bone of #9

last year, a failed implant was taken out on #10 site, and bone grafting was done. The surgery site is very close to #9. last week, a CTScan shows that the bone on the facial part of #9 , the volume decreased a lot. I am wondering if a bone grafting could improve facial bone on #9? #9 is a very healthy live tooth, endodontics test shows the nerve is alive.

if bone grafting the facial bone on #9, what is the successful rate? which kind of risk I might have?

if do gum grafting the same time placing the implant, compare to do gum grafting the time of implant crown is put it, which way will guarantee a very good final result? Thanks.
Wow, these are all great questions and to answer them I have to say it depends.. on a lot of factors.
lets get them one by one..
1- So you have an implant removed from #10 area.. bone graft was done..I assume all is ok with that site..
2- #9 has very thin buccal bone.. if all is ok and the tooth is healthy, I would leave it alone. Many of the teeth in this region will have very thin bone on the buccal.. that is just the way they are for most of us.. so unless there is clinical need I would not go in there.
3- As far as gum grafting.. it can be done at the time of impant placement, and it may need to be done again later.. there is no gaurantee either way. It really depends on your surgeon, and what has worked well in his hands.. I routinely augment gum during my implant surgeries, and on occassions I have to do some more later to get my desired results. there are too many factors involved, of which your tissue type is not the least.. speak to your surgeon, and if you don't completely trust him/her get a second opinion..

Hope this helps.

HNassery, DMD
"2- #9 has very thin buccal bone.. if all is ok and the tooth is healthy, I would leave it alone. Many of the teeth in this region will have very thin bone on the buccal.. that is just the way they are for most of us.. so unless there is clinical need I would not go in there. "

the buccal of facial side #9 lost about 2/3 of the bone compare against what it had before. What is the reason not bone grafting unless necessary? what is the successful rate? What is use marrow to bone craft it?

#9 is front tooth, I want to keep it lift long,  the facial bone lost volume so much , I am worried that over time with aging process, that part of thin bone will eventually gone and my # 9 will just fall off.......

Thanks.