Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
inflammation of tooth nerves

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

inflammation of tooth nerves
I had a filling done to a mollar. At the time the dentist said it was deeper than expected and it might be sensitive. It was for a while, to cold/heat especially, so I went back. He suggested he could protect the teeth around the gum area but I decided to leave it, hoping it might go away. Now I am in excruating pain, that comes and goes and feels like the tooth and/or bone is inflammed to the point where sometimes my ear or throat hurt too - although I can touch tooth and gum without causing pain. I went back and he suggested it is because I am clenching my teeth, putting pressure on that teeth which has slightly dislodged it allowing bacteria to get in - the teeth is moving very slightly + gums receeding in places that would be consistent with someone grinding/clenching?. So he sanded it down a bit, said to go back in a week and see if that has improved things and if not, he would do a root canal.
What puzzles me is: The pain started after the filling. It is now on that side only. If it is due to me clenching my teeth, should it be on both sides?
Also, reading about problems arising after root canal I would rather avoid that.. any suggestions please? Many thanks.
Seeing an endodontist to evaluate pulpal status is advised.If there is no evidence of pulpal pathology, seeing a tmj or orofacial pain specialist is advised.