Comprehensive Dentistry Expert Forum
involuntary tongue movement to new crown
About This Forum:

Welcome to the the Comprehensive Dentistry forum.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

involuntary tongue movement to new crown

Two years ago I had a crown done on lower rt side - the tooth had eroded and cracked, I lost a filling and there was a deep cavity.  For about a week until I could get to see the dentist my tongue naturally(?) and almost involuntarily found the cavity - "worried" it.  My tongue was sore.  With the temporary crown my tongue did the same. I thought it would end with the permanent replacement.  It didn't.  My dentist shaved off some of the new crown, then super polished it, over about three months.  Tongue still just found the new tooth - poking into the top.  Dentist told me it was psychological.  We moved.  New dentist - same problem.  The crown put in two years ago feels "bigger" than the original tooth.  I don't think my tongue rests in the same place as it did before the crown - the tongue now seems to rest pushed against the upper palate.  I think I make more saliva.  When I am concentrating on a piece of work the tongue-in-tooth is almost constant.  I also now "pop" my t's when I speak - I'm a reader at church with a sensitive microphone - I didn't "pop" t's before. I've tried to explain this problem to two dentists who listened - but no results.  I can't find a similar problem in this forum - maybe my terminology is incorrect.  But the tip of my tongue is constantly tender - can't be long-trem good.  Who might be able to shed some light on this, or point me to some good sources of information?  Much thanks - Ed in Texas