Compulsive Behaviors Expert Forum
Compulsive Lying

Questions in the Compulsive Behaviors forum are answered by Ted A Grossbart, Ph.D. from Harvard Medical School.

Compulsive Lying

I hope you can help me. I told a lie a while ago at my old workplace,( lets call it company A), I lied about where i grew up and chose a poorer area than the one i actually grew up in.). I suppose i lied to embelish the truth for Sympathy, I really regret this now and would do anything to take it back. Someone at my current workplace has found out this is a lie and has now told my old work collegues that i lied, (and that i'm a compulsive lier).  I am going back to work for company A in a few months and am not sure what to do? I have learnt my lesson and stopped lying and don't want to carry on with the the lie once i go back.
Many Thanks
I'm glad to hear you have moved beyond that behavior.  Since the lies are now known to most or all at Company A,  I suggest being totally open and apologetic about it.  If there are records,  go in and correct them and be open to telling anyone that cares that you did it, are very sorry, have moved beyond it, and will be working hard to regain their trust.

tg