Compulsive Behaviors Expert Forum
Controlling Husband
About This Forum:

Questions in the Compulsive Behaviors forum are answered by Ted A Grossbart, Ph.D. from Harvard Medical School.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Controlling Husband

My husband of 16 years has OCD, and is well aware of it.  We get along very well most of the time, but occasionally, if he is feeling stressed, he freaks out and over reacts to what our children (12 and 14) do.  When I step in to point out that he is, in fact, over doing it, he freaks out even more and starts yelling at me.  I basically end up walking away (as he is too wound-up to listen), and he always ends up apologizing later.  Meanwhile, I am left hurt and crying over what he has said to me and the kids (not to mention how upset the kids are).  How can I help him to see when he is going too far and help him to stop spewing the hate speech?

Any/all help greatly appreciated!