Compulsive Behaviors Expert Forum
Fictional World

Questions in the Compulsive Behaviors forum are answered by Ted A Grossbart, Ph.D. from Harvard Medical School.

Fictional World

My daughter is constantly making up stories to co-workers about a fictional life.  When she is finally called on it, she seems to create a work situation so that she either quits or is fired.  She has learning disabilities and feels inferior.  She has also been diagnosed as bipolar.  This started when she was in grade school and continues to this day, she is 35.  She tells people that she has horses, trains them, her family has a big farm and the storis just get bigger.  And there is absolutely no truth to any of it.  She often tells lies about the simplest things; such as did you feed the cat?  She will say yes, she didn't and of course it is obvioius that she never did.  She has fabricated a fictitious life to others since she was about 3rd grade.  Is there a medical term/problem and how do I help her move past this and deal with the real world?
This sort of behavior is standard for young kids and obviously a big problem in adulthood.  Where it has gone on so long I'd guess you have tried many approaches.  Has anything worked a bit or for a while?  Is she in therapy?  Is she on meds for the bipolar disorder?

tg