Compulsive Behaviors Expert Forum
Panic attack and blood pressure - OCD?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Compulsive Behaviors forum are answered by Ted A Grossbart, Ph.D. from Harvard Medical School.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Panic attack and blood pressure - OCD?

I am a 28 years Caucasian male with no known medical condition except from panic attack, I have an attack every other day. Some of my attacks are so strong I cannot grab object because of shaking, sweating, ice-cold hands, fear of dying, lightheartedness, chest tightness...
One day I had the (bad?) idea to check my blood pressure during an attack, and it was frighteningly high (165/115). Since then I "must" take my blood pressure every day and many times during each panic attack. My normal, everyday pressure is between 120/80 and 125/85 but during an attack it usually reach 140/90 or 150/100. One day I took a Xanax (benzo) and within 20min my pressure was back to normal, even lower (115/75).
Now... I have literally THOUSANDS of readings and I cannot stop. Probably this is even _causing_ my panic attack now... Am I being irresponsible because I do not take any blood pressure medication? Should I just ignore this condition? Is there even a condition: maybe it is healthy for my body to react this way?
What would you recommend?