Compulsive Behaviors Expert Forum
Please Help!!!

Questions in the Compulsive Behaviors forum are answered by Ted A Grossbart, Ph.D. from Harvard Medical School.

Please Help!!!

Recently I was struck in the head and was diagnoised with post concussion syndrome.  While I have improved cognatively my mental health has been waivering.  I began having general anxiety which progressed to full blown panic attacks, which progressed to intrusive thoughts of jumping from buildings and swereving into traffic or pedrestrians while driving, which has now progressed to me feeling I have lost controll and that I am insane, wanting to check things I know I have done, or have not done (ie) if I really went to the store or really went to the mental health appointment which rationally I know I have done.  I am wondering if this sounds like OCD to you, if the fear of my thoughts of aggression and the loss of control really means I am not insane just driving my self crazy with anxiety and fear.  I have rituals which my cell phone and I feel sexual in nature  such as masterbation (masturbation).  Before this happened in 2003 I had months where i obsessed over life after death, and I have had obsessions of HIV, STD's and other diseases and have made appointments to heve theses checked for and do self checks but never to this extent I feel I cannot get out of my own head at times.  I went and was evaluated at the ER M.H crisis unit a few weeks ago and was not admitted.  The intrusive thoughts of aggression are rarely acted upon with OCD if I am correct and the fact I am scrared is good sign as "crazy people" to use anon-clinical term doent know they are "crazy"?  I just began therapy and am not on medication yet and want my life back.   Thank you
I think you are on the right track not trying to stop the thoughts but to note them and counter them with reality.  Your mind is like a bully trying to mess with you.  It will try any tactic or tactic to get you going.  If you keep your cool, remember that thoughts are just thoughts it can't touch you.  Treat the thoughts like the music in a elevator.  They are there, but no one listens.  They only have power if you give it to them.

It does seem that you are moving along in self-awareness, realizing that this is how the OCD brain works and not mistaking it for reality.

tg

Going for therapy is exactly the right move.  This is classic OCD and should be quite treatable.

tg
Thank you for your answer Dr.  is there any hints you could give as to how to deal with these thoughts, the more I try to dismiss ot ignore the worse they are. For example I just keep saying "yeah but" when i tell me self a rational answer or "what if"  its really been 2 months of hell....Mike
Also on here ive seen many times that "crazy people do not know they are crazy"  is this generally true?