Compulsive Behaviors Expert Forum
Riding in the car.

Questions in the Compulsive Behaviors forum are answered by Ted A Grossbart, Ph.D. from Harvard Medical School.

Riding in the car.
So about a year go i got my permit, before this i could ride in a car and everything was basically normal. but after i stopped learning how to drive i started totally freaking out . if we are a heading a turn i freak out grab the doors. my parents think its weird that i shoudl go to the doctors, my boyfriend holds my hand and says that its ok he wont hurt me. It really freaks me out, i get all hot like i was embarassed and butterflies in my stomache and the only thing i think about is the car going off the road or the other car hitting us or us not stopping or the other car not stopping right. Is this just me that i need to chill out or is it that i have a problem.?
Sorry to hear about the problem.  Being in the driver's seat is a big responsibility.  

I think you are dealing with basic anxiety--your mind is messing with you.  It is sort of like telling yourself "ghost stories,"  where the kids around the campfire imagine a monster and it gets realer and realer in their minds.  

Try taking a deep breath into the pit of your stomach for a count of 4, hold for 4, exhale for 4.  Repeat this ten times.

Let me know how this goes.

tg