Compulsive Behaviors Expert Forum
Uncertain

Questions in the Compulsive Behaviors forum are answered by Ted A Grossbart, Ph.D. from Harvard Medical School.

Uncertain

I'm not sure if this question would pertain to your forum but I am going to give it a try. My daughter was 6 months old when she passed away from S.I.D.S. I have been going to see her everyday since she passed away. Some say that this behavior isn't good for me because I get depressed when I am not able to go see her. I enjoy taking a book out the grave and reading to her. It makes me feel a sense of attachment still. What do you think about this behavior? Is it not good for me or am I good at doing what I have been?
Sorry for your loss.  A general rule of thumb is that acute mourning takes a year.  Assuming that you are not neglecting the rest of your life, given how much this is comforting, I'd say give yourself more time.  If after a year it feels like you have not healed emotionally and are at the same place I'd suggest talking to a mental health professional.

tg
I meant to say out to the grave sorry.