Compulsive Behaviors Expert Forum
What is going on with my mind

Questions in the Compulsive Behaviors forum are answered by Ted A Grossbart, Ph.D. from Harvard Medical School.

What is going on with my mind
When ever I get close to my menstral cycle I obsess about travelling and even impulsivly take off to anywhere I can get.  It's so weird, all of a sudden my budget disappears and out come the credit cards for what ever strikes my fansy.  I am exagerating but it is that ridiculous, it's as if I become a stranger to myself.  Why is this happening to my life?
I haven't run into this one specifically, but you can regard it as a variation on compulsive shopping.  There is some information and support groups on the web and you should definitely consider sitting down with a mental health professional to get to the bottom of it.

As with any compulsion/addiction, it is likely about the avoidance of emotional pain.  Facing the pain will ultimately feel better and be cheaper.

tg